Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to flash an AC generator

I bought a 6000 watt home generator new and ran it twice. Haven't had
occasion to use it in the past 4 years. Started it up the other day and the
engine ran fine but the generator won't produce power. It was working fine
when I last used it.

I was told that it needed to be flashed. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Thanks,

Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure about an AC generator but when I worked for IBM we used to
flash a DC generator by briefly shorting the output.

I run my generator once a month for 15 minutes under full load. Once
you get yours running you should do this to keep it reliable.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck Jurgens wrote:

I bought a 6000 watt home generator new and ran it twice. Haven't had
occasion to use it in the past 4 years. Started it up the other day and the
engine ran fine but the generator won't produce power. It was working fine
when I last used it.

I was told that it needed to be flashed. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Thanks,

Chuck

I've never had to do that but here's a link about a rather easy thing to
try:

http://www.perr.com/tip16.html

Field Flashing of Portable Generators

This tip comes from the Briggs & Stratton Customer Education Department.
As an alternative to flashing a rotor winding with a battery applied to
the brushes, an electric drill may be used. Follow these steps to flash
the generator:

Plug the electric drill into the generator receptacle. (Cordless drills
do not work)
If the drill is reversible, move the direction switch to the forward
position.
Start the generator

While depressing the trigger on the drill, spin the drill chuck in
reverse direction. This will excite the field and the generator will now
produce electricity. If spinning the chuck one direction does not work,
try spinning the chuck in the other direction as you may have the
reverse switch positioned backwards.

Use caution not to get your hand or other materials caught in the chuck.
As soon as the field is excited, the generator will produce power and
the drill will turn on.

The reason this works is because the electric motor in the drill will
act as a small generator when spun backwards. The magnets in the drill's
motor induce a voltage into the motor windings, which is fed back
through the trigger, cord and into the generators receptacle. From there
it goes into the power winding of the stator. The voltage going through
the power winding creates a magnetic field, which is intensified due to
the iron core of the stator laminations. The rotor intersects this
magnetic field as it is spun past the power winding, thus inducing a
voltage in the rotor winding. Once current flow is present in the rotor
winding the rotor has been flashed.

If flashing the field does not make the generator work, you may have
additional problems, besides a lack of magnetism in the rotor. Further
testing will be needed. Hopefully, this will give a simple way to field
flash your generator if needed - Bruce Perrault
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 12:25 pm, "Chuck Jurgens" wrote:
I bought a 6000 watt home generator new and ran it twice. Haven't had
occasion to use it in the past 4 years. Started it up the other day and the
engine ran fine but the generator won't produce power. It was working fine
when I last used it.

I was told that it needed to be flashed. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Read the Fine Manual or go to the manufacturer's website and find
info.

http://www.perr.com/tip16.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chuck Jurgens" wrote in message
I bought a 6000 watt home generator new and ran it twice. Haven't had
occasion to use it in the past 4 years. Started it up the other day and
the engine ran fine but the generator won't produce power. It was working
fine when I last used it.

I was told that it needed to be flashed. Can anyone tell me how to do
that?

Thanks,

Chuck

Gee wiz and I thought all I need is pull my pants down

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:44:39 GMT, "Tony" wrote:

"Chuck Jurgens" wrote in message
.. .
I bought a 6000 watt home generator new and ran it twice. Haven't had
occasion to use it in the past 4 years. Started it up the other day and
the engine ran fine but the generator won't produce power. It was working
fine when I last used it.

I was told that it needed to be flashed. Can anyone tell me how to do
that?

Thanks,

Chuck

Gee wiz and I thought all I need is pull my pants down

That would work if you had a bigger tool :-)

(If you're gonna pitch a slow one over the middle of the plate....)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:44:39 GMT, "Tony" wrote:

"Chuck Jurgens" wrote in message
. ..
I bought a 6000 watt home generator new and ran it twice. Haven't had
occasion to use it in the past 4 years. Started it up the other day and
the engine ran fine but the generator won't produce power. It was
working
fine when I last used it.

I was told that it needed to be flashed. Can anyone tell me how to do
that?

Thanks,

Chuck

Gee wiz and I thought all I need is pull my pants down

That would work if you had a bigger tool :-)

Hmmm I was wondering about that maybe
if I get one of those implants you know one on hinge

(If you're gonna pitch a slow one over the middle of the plate....)

ledger flash DW Home Repair 0 September 10th 06 05:56 AM
flash burn cj Metalworking 29 November 2nd 05 07:47 PM
Is it possible to Flash Eprom.... neolly Electronics Repair 5 July 24th 05 08:09 AM
Why does my LED torch flash? Cycle UK diy 5 July 12th 05 05:40 PM
flash a window Michael Nickolas Home Repair 2 May 24th 05 03:03 AM