Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tiling upstairs

What do I need to tile an upstairs bathroom? I know you shouldn't tile
directly onto the plywood. I've heard you need another sheet of plywood and
then some mortar/backer?? board but then the floor will be about an inch
higher than the hall floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"D'Olier" wrote in
:

What do I need to tile an upstairs bathroom? I know you shouldn't
tile directly onto the plywood. I've heard you need another sheet of
plywood and then some mortar/backer?? board but then the floor will be
about an inch higher than the hall floor.

Tile, a bathroom and an upstairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What do I need to tile an upstairs bathroom? I know you shouldn't tile
directly onto the plywood. I've heard you need another sheet of plywood
and then some mortar/backer??

You dont have to use cement board (unless you have "Ducks" that throw water
onto the floor) but you should have at least 1 1/4" thick plywood base to
prevent flexing and cracking the grout. What do you end up with if you add
3/4" ply ?

My floor guy used plenty of white woodworkers glue and a LOT of staples to
attach the "extra" ply to the subfloor. Three years in, no flexing/no
problems

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 8:17 pm, "D'Olier" wrote:
What do I need to tile an upstairs bathroom? I know you shouldn't tile
directly onto the plywood. I've heard you need another sheet of plywood and
then some mortar/backer?? board but then the floor will be about an inch
higher than the hall floor.

If you do determine that you have flexing, and you cannot fully
eliminate that flexing (for whatever reason). Then you should use
smaller tiles on the floor like 6x6. The larger the tiles you use,
the harder your subfloor needs to be. Women dont like to hear that
because the big tiles have been in vogue for a while now, but maybe
you can appease her by putting big tiles on the walls and small on the
floor. If you can get a good solid floor then use thinset for setting
the large floor tiles not mastic. Mastic or thinset is ok for the
walls though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 9:17 pm, "D'Olier" wrote:
What do I need to tile an upstairs bathroom? I know you shouldn't tile
directly onto the plywood. I've heard you need another sheet of plywood and
then some mortar/backer?? board but then the floor will be about an inch
higher than the hall floor.

There is a scientific way to determine whether the floor is strong
enough, but 1 1/4" plywood and 1/4" backerboard is normal from what
I've been reading. What is there now?

A change in elevation between rooms is pretty normal. We're used to
picking up our feet as we walk through doorways. The bathrooms in my
house are 3/4" higher than the hallways and I didn't even realize that
until I retiled one of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So a.)does the carpet rise up or b.) do you see the edge of the plywood
floor from
the hallway?

You go to a flooring supply store (which has more choices than HD or Lowes)
and get some " transition strip" so the answer to the above is "Neither"

Upstairs very hot tenplay Home Repair 13 July 25th 06 09:13 PM
Can a hospital bed go upstairs? [email protected] UK diy 59 June 1st 06 01:45 AM
cooling upstairs with ac - it's too hot twenty_over Home Repair 9 May 31st 06 10:21 PM
Radiator fed from upstairs Bart C UK diy 3 December 19th 05 06:25 PM
no heat upstairs Mike UK diy 0 December 7th 04 07:33 PM