Old August 5th 07, 10:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Back up generator for deep well pump

I am having a well drilled to 400' and will get a 220v 1.5 hp motor
for the pump. I would like to buy a back-up generator in case of
extended power outages. Can anybody tell me what watt generator I
would need? Thanks - Robert

Old August 5th 07, 10:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Robert wrote in news:1186345007.745027.127100
@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

I am having a well drilled to 400' and will get a 220v 1.5 hp motor
for the pump. I would like to buy a back-up generator in case of
extended power outages. Can anybody tell me what watt generator I
would need? Thanks - Robert

1 hp = 746 watts so you so need at least 1120 watts to run a 1.5 hp motor.
The actual wattage depends on how much power the pump draws when it starts
- starting draw can be 2 or 3 times running power, usually just 2 or 2.5
times. Also, a generator can usually supply more than the rated power for a
short time, enough time to get pump to speed. A 3000 watt generator should
be plenty and you could probably get away with 2500 watts.

Old August 5th 07, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The smallest generator you can get, that produces 240 volt is probably going
to be around 2500 watts, which would be fine

oups.com...

Old August 5th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Scratch the above, I mistook 1.5 for 1/2 HP. You'll be drawing around 12
amps @240, and factoring in starting current, you'll need around 6KW, which
will have a higher peak

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
The smallest generator you can get, that produces 240 volt is probably
going to be around 2500 watts, which would be fine

oups.com...

Old August 6th 07, 12:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Robert wrote:
I am having a well drilled to 400' and will get a 220v 1.5 hp motor
for the pump. I would like to buy a back-up generator in case of
extended power outages. Can anybody tell me what watt generator I
would need? Thanks - Robert

A holding tank would be cheaper.

Old August 6th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am having a well drilled to 400' and will get a 220v 1.5 hp motor
for the pump. I would like to buy a back-up generator in case of
extended power outages. Can anybody tell me what watt generator I
would need? Thanks - Robert

Such interesting answers!
You need to actually measure the current as the motor starts.
Typically a 1.5hp motor will run on 8a, and start with 24a (6500w), but most
motors aren't typical; you have to actually measure yours.

Old August 6th 07, 02:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Robert wrote:
I am having a well drilled to 400' and will get a 220v 1.5 hp motor
for the pump. I would like to buy a back-up generator in case of
extended power outages. Can anybody tell me what watt generator I
would need? Thanks - Robert

Why stop with well? I have a 7,350 starting watts, 5,500 running watts
generator that handles well, furnace, 2 freezers and refrigerator as
well as a few lights and TV. With bottled water to drink and stored
water to flush toilets, we've lasted up to 3 days without electricity,
but we lost food in freezer then and another time house got down in the
40's even when I was burning 2 fireplaces. Stove, water heater and AC
are out of the picture but we can live comfortably for days without them.
Frank
Old August 6th 07, 03:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 6:11 pm, Frank [email protected] wrote:
Robert wrote:
I am having a well drilled to 400' and will get a 220v 1.5 hp motor
for the pump. I would like to buy a back-up generator in case of
extended power outages. Can anybody tell me what watt generator I
would need? Thanks - Robert

Why stop with well? I have a 7,350 starting watts, 5,500 running watts
generator that handles well, furnace, 2 freezers and refrigerator as
well as a few lights and TV. With bottled water to drink and stored
water to flush toilets, we've lasted up to 3 days without electricity,
but we lost food in freezer then and another time house got down in the
40's even when I was burning 2 fireplaces. Stove, water heater and AC
are out of the picture but we can live comfortably for days without them.
Frank

Thanks everybody for replying. I can see now that I need a
significantly higher capacity generator than I bought today at 4000w
peak. I had a 25% off coupon at Checkers that was due to expire so I
thought a generator would be a good idea. Luckily, before I opened
the box, there was a warning stating that it would not start an air
compressor or circular saw. That's when I posted here.

I think I'll look into something like Frank has. Thanks again.