Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laminated Windows

Hello,

We are having windows replaced in our house, and we have the following
dilemma: Should we, or should we not install laminated windows on the
first floor. The windows that we are considering are Gorell Armor
Glass (http://www.gorell.com/pages/armor_glass_plus.htm). The major
reason for considering these windows is enhanced security.

On the other hand, these windows will present a problem in the case of
a fire emergency, if the firefighters will need to break the windows.
Also, if, for whatever reason we ourselves might need to enter the
house through a window, we will not be able to..

The price difference is not critical. What do you recommend?

Thank you very much,
Elana

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would think any window replacement work would be thermal pane.
Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to use tempered glass
units in thermal pane. You can have just the outside tempered and
tinted differently than the inside.

If the fire man wants in, laminated glass may slow him up, but it
won't stop him.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"elanamig" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Decades ago there was a motel fire in Rochester NY. I think it was a
Holiday Inn. A bunch of people from Canada had taken a bus ride to
Rochester to shop for the holidays (don't ask me why). In any case they had
a dreadful time escaping by breaking the windows. It was almost impossible
for them to break the windows to get out. They used chairs, etc. Back then
I would think they used laminated glass. I would never put it in my house.
Tempered is the way to go.

"elanamig" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

We are having windows replaced in our house, and we have the following
dilemma: Should we, or should we not install laminated windows on the
first floor. The windows that we are considering are Gorell Armor
Glass (
http://www.gorell.com/pages/armor_glass_plus.htm). The major
reason for considering these windows is enhanced security.

On the other hand, these windows will present a problem in the case of
a fire emergency, if the firefighters will need to break the windows.
Also, if, for whatever reason we ourselves might need to enter the
house through a window, we will not be able to..

The price difference is not critical. What do you recommend?

Thank you very much,
Elana

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message

I would think any window replacement work would be thermal pane. Perhaps a
reasonable compromise would be to use tempered glass units in thermal pane.
You can have just the outside tempered and tinted differently than the
inside.

If the fire man wants in, laminated glass may slow him up, but it won't
stop him.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"elanamig" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hello,

We are having windows replaced in our house, and we have the following
dilemma: Should we, or should we not install laminated windows on the
first floor. The windows that we are considering are Gorell Armor
Glass (http://www.gorell.com/pages/armor_glass_plus.htm). The major
reason for considering these windows is enhanced security.

On the other hand, these windows will present a problem in the case of
a fire emergency, if the firefighters will need to break the windows.
Also, if, for whatever reason we ourselves might need to enter the
house through a window, we will not be able to..

The price difference is not critical. What do you recommend?

Thank you very much,
Elana

Thanks for your reply. Is tempered glass better for security than
laminated glass? What other benefits are there to tempered glass
compared to laminated glass?

Thanks,
Elana

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:21:48 -0000, elanamig
wrote:

Hello,

We are having windows replaced in our house, and we have the following
dilemma: Should we, or should we not install laminated windows on the
first floor. The windows that we are considering are Gorell Armor
Glass (http://www.gorell.com/pages/armor_glass_plus.htm). The major
reason for considering these windows is enhanced security.

On the other hand, these windows will present a problem in the case of
a fire emergency, if the firefighters will need to break the windows.
Also, if, for whatever reason we ourselves might need to enter the
house through a window, we will not be able to..

The price difference is not critical. What do you recommend?

Thank you very much,
Elana

I have not had any windows break at all in the past 15 years. But
when the teen across the street started practicing his golf, I became
concerned about breakage. I say get the laminated windows if you plan
on living there a long time. I wonder if this laminated glass has
plastic inside it? Will it yellow over time? Does it have a 15-year
guarantee? What are the insulation properties? Have you considered
triple-pane windows? Better insulation will pay for itself in energy
savings over time.

Keep an extra house key at work or with a trusted neighbor. Your
local fire department will gladly give your home an inspection. And
your police will give you some security tips.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Yes, the laminated glass has plastic inside. I haven't thought about
the possibility of it turning yellow... That's a great point. How
would I know though? I don't expect the sales rep to admit it. I
will definitely find out if discoloration is covered by the warranty,
though...

Triple-pane is an overkill for our area (even sales reps admit it)...
Insulation, etc properties are comparable to other windows. The
manufacturer offers life-time warranty...

Thanks,
Elana

Thanks.

Fitting laminated end trims to laminated worktop - how to cut/shape? Tiny Tim UK diy 6 March 9th 06 07:12 PM
Laminated (safety) Glass for windows-- two questions Andrew Home Repair 10 January 9th 06 08:11 PM
Laminated bracelet JYS31 Woodturning 2 October 3rd 05 09:55 AM
Laminated flooring help please Alan UK diy 8 February 11th 05 08:36 PM
Laminated gunstocks tuppence Woodworking 4 November 4th 04 12:02 AM