Posted to alt.home.repair
elanamig elanamig is offline

Default Laminated Windows

On Aug 1, 5:38 pm, "Art" wrote:
Decades ago there was a motel fire in Rochester NY. I think it was a
Holiday Inn. A bunch of people from Canada had taken a bus ride to
Rochester to shop for the holidays (don't ask me why). In any case they had
a dreadful time escaping by breaking the windows. It was almost impossible
for them to break the windows to get out. They used chairs, etc. Back then
I would think they used laminated glass. I would never put it in my house.
Tempered is the way to go.

"DanG" wrote in message

I would think any window replacement work would be thermal pane. Perhaps a
reasonable compromise would be to use tempered glass units in thermal pane.
You can have just the outside tempered and tinted differently than the
inside.

If the fire man wants in, laminated glass may slow him up, but it won't
stop him.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"elanamig" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hello,

We are having windows replaced in our house, and we have the following
dilemma: Should we, or should we not install laminated windows on the
first floor. The windows that we are considering are Gorell Armor
Glass (http://www.gorell.com/pages/armor_glass_plus.htm). The major
reason for considering these windows is enhanced security.

On the other hand, these windows will present a problem in the case of
a fire emergency, if the firefighters will need to break the windows.
Also, if, for whatever reason we ourselves might need to enter the
house through a window, we will not be able to..

The price difference is not critical. What do you recommend?

Thank you very much,
Elana

Thanks for your reply. Is tempered glass better for security than
laminated glass? What other benefits are there to tempered glass
compared to laminated glass?

Thanks,
Elana