Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do I need a box clamp (wiring)

This is a small barn with livestock in most of the building. In the
back there is a separate room for feed and supplies (called feedroom).
Animals dont go in there. On the wall adjoining the animals, there is
an outlet with GFIC. I want to put an outlet in the actual barn
directly behind this outlet. Because livestock chew wires, no wires
can be exposed. The box is a metal handy box and will be connected
downline form the GFIC. The wire will need to go thru two 2x4's
nailed together and directly into a knockout on the rear of the
handybox, which will be screwed to that 2x4. Thus, the length of wire
from the "supply" box (in feed room) to the outlet in the animal
section, is about 6 inches of 12-2 romex. There will be a romex clamp
connector on the side of the box in the feed room. The wire goes the
6 inches thru the wall and directly into the box in the animal room.
My question is whether I need a cable clamp on the rear of the
handybox in the animal section? In order to fit the clamp with it's
screws into the wall, I'd need to drill a hole about 1 1/4 inches in
diameter. Not only is this a big job to drill, but also will weaken
the wall. For such a short run of wire is it absolutely necessary to
use a clamp, or should I just push the wire thru the knockout, ground
it to a green screw, and wire to the outlet. Remmember, it's clamped
in the feed room, 6 inches away.

I do know that it would electrically work without the clamp and poses
no real hazzard, but how would the code look at this?
I doubt it will ever be inspected where I live, but I am just checking
on what is required.

I have also considered using a 4.5 inch box for that outlet and
putting the clamp on the INSIDE of the box, in a corner where it wont
be near the outlet. I always use clamps where all wires enter boxes,
but in this case it seems rather senseless and much more trouble than
it's worth.

What would you do?
What is allowed?

Thanks

Farmer Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If it's acceptable to use a handy box, you could use a connector like the
"Arlington Button", which is a small plastic insulator disk that snaps into
the knockout. You should check with local authorities to be sure a
weatherproof box like a bell box would not be required in an agricultural
building

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe,

I don't know your code so I'm guessing here. If you are supposed to wire
livestock areas with clamps and this job is in a barn then use a clamp. That
you use the room now for storage does not mean that the room won't be used
for livestock in the future.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
This is a small barn with livestock in most of the building. In the
back there is a separate room for feed and supplies (called feedroom).
Animals dont go in there. On the wall adjoining the animals, there is
an outlet with GFIC. I want to put an outlet in the actual barn
directly behind this outlet. ...

What kind of livestock first? How high is this outlet? What kind of
outlet are you planning on?

In a barn w/ horses particularly I would never leave exposed wiring (as
in recpetacles/switches/etc where they can get to them on a continuous
basis (that is, when you're not there in an enclosure they have free
rein in). In an area of occasional pass-thru use, that's different.

If it needs to be in such a location, imo it should be recessed somehow
either with a framed box or a purchased cage sufficient to prevent damage.

What would you do?
What is allowed?...

I'll leave the code question to the code gurus although I _think_ code
requires a cable be fastened at the entrance to any box. If you can't
find a suitable box w/ an integral clamp, the problem in many boxes that
code doesn't like is that when you punch the hole that leaves a sharp
edge which can potentially cut the insulation so must ensure a smooth,
burr-free entrance. I don't believe there's any reason a cable staple
at the rear of the box wouldn't suffice.

As for what I'd do, I'd assess the sittyashun and figure out something I
was pleased with and be done w/ it, knowing intent of Code...

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to :

I do know that it would electrically work without the clamp and poses
no real hazzard, but how would the code look at this?

You _always_ need a clamp or bushing on a box to protect the wire from
chafing on the sharp edges of the knockout.

Mounting the clamp on the inside should suffice. Use a cast
clamp with a ring nut, ring nut on outside. You may need to
drill out a shallow divot with a diameter of 1 1/4" or so to
clear the threads and nut, but the rest need only be enough
for the wire.

The spreading metal clamps might work too on the inside.

The other option would be a 90 degree elbow clamp. Comes out
the side, and the elbow goes straight into the wall a bit,
so no sheath is exposed.

Or a short sheath of PVC electrical conduit. H'm, maybe
it needs to be metal.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , writes:
| This is a small barn with livestock in most of the building. In the
| back there is a separate room for feed and supplies (called feedroom).
| Animals dont go in there. On the wall adjoining the animals, there is
| an outlet with GFIC. I want to put an outlet in the actual barn
| directly behind this outlet. Because livestock chew wires, no wires
| can be exposed. The box is a metal handy box and will be connected
| downline form the GFIC. The wire will need to go thru two 2x4's
| nailed together and directly into a knockout on the rear of the
| handybox, which will be screwed to that 2x4. Thus, the length of wire
| from the "supply" box (in feed room) to the outlet in the animal
| section, is about 6 inches of 12-2 romex. There will be a romex clamp
| connector on the side of the box in the feed room. The wire goes the
| 6 inches thru the wall and directly into the box in the animal room.
| My question is whether I need a cable clamp on the rear of the
| handybox in the animal section? In order to fit the clamp with it's
| screws into the wall, I'd need to drill a hole about 1 1/4 inches in
| diameter. Not only is this a big job to drill, but also will weaken
| the wall. For such a short run of wire is it absolutely necessary to
| use a clamp, or should I just push the wire thru the knockout, ground
| it to a green screw, and wire to the outlet. Remmember, it's clamped
| in the feed room, 6 inches away.
|
| I do know that it would electrically work without the clamp and poses
| no real hazzard, but how would the code look at this?
| I doubt it will ever be inspected where I live, but I am just checking
| on what is required.
|
| I have also considered using a 4.5 inch box for that outlet and
| putting the clamp on the INSIDE of the box, in a corner where it wont
| be near the outlet. I always use clamps where all wires enter boxes,
| but in this case it seems rather senseless and much more trouble than
| it's worth.
|
| What would you do?

I would mount an additional piece of wood (as thick as the depth of the
external clamp assembly) to the wall, drill the 1 1/4" hole in *that* and
mount the box with clamp to this spacer. Actually, I might use conduit
through the wall because I don't like having to fasten the clamp on the
cable before putting the box in place...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com