Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom leak

We had the masterbathroom remodeled, this included a new toilet,
rasing
the vanity, putting in a tile walkin shower, and a new tile floor.
After they were done and we started using everything we noticed water
drops on the dining room table in the dining room on the 1st floor
under the masterbathroom. The contractor came back and said that
there
were some cracks in the grout on the floor of the shower and he would
caluk them and let it dry for 2 days and everything would be OK. I am
waiting for it to dryAfter the ceiling has become saturated , will it
stay up and is there any question of mold?
Please give me any input.
Thanks BH/IN.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 5:35 am, bhamm4254 wrote:
We had the masterbathroom remodeled, this included a new toilet,
rasing
the vanity, putting in a tile walkin shower, and a new tile floor.
After they were done and we started using everything we noticed water
drops on the dining room table in the dining room on the 1st floor
under the masterbathroom. The contractor came back and said that
there
were some cracks in the grout on the floor of the shower and he would
caluk them and let it dry for 2 days and everything would be OK. I am
waiting for it to dryAfter the ceiling has become saturated , will it
stay up and is there any question of mold?
Please give me any input.
Thanks BH/IN.

No one can tell, particularly at this distance, whether the ceiling
will stay up. If it is truely 'saturated' the fasteners may rust and
the gypsum may crumble, the joints may wrinkle, and the paint will
probably flake or peel. If any of this looks to be probable, rather
than possible, consider drilling a few holes to allow drying, then
have the ceiling repaired when the extent of damage is clear. If the
ceiling looks really bad - ask the contractor - it could be taken down
now to allow drying, avoid sudden collapse, and give access to check
for further leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:35:04 -0000, bhamm4254
wrote:

We had the masterbathroom remodeled, this included a new toilet,
rasing
the vanity, putting in a tile walkin shower, and a new tile floor.
After they were done and we started using everything we noticed water
drops on the dining room table in the dining room on the 1st floor
under the masterbathroom. The contractor came back and said that
there
were some cracks in the grout on the floor of the shower and he would
caluk them and let it dry for 2 days and everything would be OK. I am
waiting for it to dryAfter the ceiling has become saturated , will it
stay up and is there any question of mold?
Please give me any input.
Thanks BH/IN.

Tell the contractor to rip out the shower and put in a new pan.