Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 705 Dewalt compound saw

A friend of mine has his saw in the repair shop, and now can't afford the
$173 to get it out after a rebuild.

He wants $20 for the claim ticket, and I've seen the saw. Used, but still
got life in it.

Is this any deal on a used saw like that?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

A friend of mine has his saw in the repair shop, and now can't afford the
$173 to get it out after a rebuild. He wants $20 for the claim ticket, and
I've seen the saw. Used, but still got life in it. Is this any deal on a
used saw like that?

Good saw.. I bought one new in 1998 (About 300 bux) still works fine. I
think I should give him $ 25.00 for it though..otherwise, after you pick it
up, he'll probably borrow it from you "forever" and you, being a "nice guy"
wouldn't ask for "his" saw back would you ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 01:55:58 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote Re 705 Dewalt compound saw:

A friend of mine has his saw in the repair shop, and now can't afford the
$173 to get it out after a rebuild.

He wants $20 for the claim ticket, and I've seen the saw. Used, but still
got life in it.

Is this any deal on a used saw like that?

Steve

Let's give this some thought.

Your friend is very familiar with this saw, but doesn't think it's
worth the $173 to get out of the shop. (If he did, he would find a way
to get the $$). Obviously he has used it a lot since it needed a
rebuilt. Or possibly it needed a rebuild after very little use.

He wants to sell it to you for $193 ($173 + $20) because he doesn't
think it's worth $173.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have that same saw and it's okay but beware the pivot pin that holds
the saw to the base.

It has a tendency to work it's way out.

As for paying that kind of money for a used saw I don't know.

My neighbor just bought this saw for $99 on sale and for the life of
me I really can't find anything wrong with it.

It even comes with a 40-tooth thin-kerf carbide blade.

I suppose if you are going to use it all the time at work it may pay
to go with a brand-name tool but otherwise I would go for value.

Hope this helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vic Dura" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 01:55:58 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote Re 705 Dewalt compound saw:

A friend of mine has his saw in the repair shop, and now can't afford the
$173 to get it out after a rebuild.

He wants $20 for the claim ticket, and I've seen the saw. Used, but still
got life in it.

Is this any deal on a used saw like that?

Steve

Let's give this some thought.

Your friend is very familiar with this saw, but doesn't think it's
worth the $173 to get out of the shop. (If he did, he would find a way
to get the $$). Obviously he has used it a lot since it needed a
rebuilt. Or possibly it needed a rebuild after very little use.

He wants to sell it to you for $193 ($173 + $20) because he doesn't
think it's worth $173.
--

Or maybe he doesn't have the money?

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
A friend of mine has his saw in the repair shop, and now can't afford
the $173 to get it out after a rebuild.

He wants $20 for the claim ticket, and I've seen the saw. Used, but
still got life in it.

Is this any deal on a used saw like that?

There are several "Dewalt compound saw" available on Ebay for less. (There
are several available for much more, too)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend of mine has his saw in the repair shop, and now can't afford the
$173 to get it out after a rebuild.

He wants $20 for the claim ticket, and I've seen the saw. Used, but still
got life in it.

Is this any deal on a used saw like that?

Steve

Your local cragslist tool section has one for sell - asking $300.00

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/384110115.html

Now, if you bought my DW 708 for $325.00 I would buy the DW 718
slider :-))

What was the reapir made on this saw?

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend of mine has his saw in the repair shop, and now can't afford the
$173 to get it out after a rebuild.

He wants $20 for the claim ticket, and I've seen the saw. Used, but still
got life in it.

Is this any deal on a used saw like that?

Steve

Your local cragslist tool section has one for sell - asking $300.00

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/384110115.html

Now, if you bought my DW 708 for $325.00 I would buy the DW 718
slider :-))

What was the reapir made on this saw?

--
Oren

New cord, bearings, brushes, armature, other things I don't have the slip
with me at this time. Pretty good rebuild. I figure for what I want to use
it for, it will be a good deal. I'm happy.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:59:16 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

What was the reapir made on this saw?

New cord, bearings, brushes, armature, other things I don't have the slip
with me at this time. Pretty good rebuild. I figure for what I want to use
it for, it will be a good deal. I'm happy.

Steve

I would buy this saw. It will pay for itself in no time...

--
Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

I would buy this saw. It will pay for itself in no time...

I'm trying to get some major work done at the cabin this season. Had a late
start due to medical problems. If I can do half what I want to do now, it
will be a good season. Funny how cabins are measured in "seasons". One of
the things I want to do is major deck work. A perfect use for the saw.

In the area, it is difficult to get good workmen during the "season", as
they are working on high end "cabins." So, you end up with the derelicts
and fugitives, or do it yourself. Most of the time, I like doing it myself.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend of mine has his saw in the repair shop, and now can't afford the
$173 to get it out after a rebuild.

He wants $20 for the claim ticket, and I've seen the saw. Used, but still
got life in it.

Is this any deal on a used saw like that?

Steve

Depends. A quality blade should be ~$125. Check for play, damaged
fence/table, motor bearings, water damage, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:09:03 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote

I would buy this saw. It will pay for itself in no time...

I'm trying to get some major work done at the cabin this season. Had a late
start due to medical problems. If I can do half what I want to do now, it
will be a good season. Funny how cabins are measured in "seasons". One of
the things I want to do is major deck work. A perfect use for the saw.

In the area, it is difficult to get good workmen during the "season", as
they are working on high end "cabins." So, you end up with the derelicts
and fugitives, or do it yourself. Most of the time, I like doing it myself.

Steve

Here is another DW705 with stand and accessories for $300.00.

The crown stops alone are about $50.00

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/385323639.html

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:26:28 -0700, Oren wrote:

snip

Here is another DW705 with stand and accessories for $300.00.

The crown stops alone are about $50.00

$50 for crown stops is robbery when you can use double-sided carpet
tape and a couple wooden scraps. I've installed thousands of feet of
crown molding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:01:17 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:26:28 -0700, Oren wrote:

snip

Here is another DW705 with stand and accessories for $300.00.

The crown stops alone are about $50.00

$50 for crown stops is robbery when you can use double-sided carpet
tape and a couple wooden scraps. I've installed thousands of feet of
crown molding.

It see your point. The wife wanted some crown, a chair rail and new
base. I got a new DW708 saw out of the deal, but I did pay for the
stops.... but I'm a DIY. You ole farts know the tricks :-))

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."

FA: DeWalt Cordless Tools, DeWalt 8" Radial Arm Saw Marty Escarcega Woodworking 0 April 25th 06 10:50 AM
joint compound mo Home Repair 5 April 8th 06 01:44 PM
Self leveling compound: HELP!!! blackspaven Home Repair 2 June 20th 05 07:32 PM
Compound Mitre or TS Greg DeBacker Woodworking 19 July 23rd 03 03:11 AM
Help w/ Compound Mitre Greg DeBacker Woodworking 4 July 22nd 03 12:10 AM