Posted to alt.home.repair

Default have to vent gas range

We plan to replace existing electric smooth top range with new one.
However we wonder if we can replace with gas. The range is on interior
kitchen wall with microwave about 18-20" above it, has metal bottom
and fans and we will replace that too with similar. Will the gas
flames put too much heat on the microwave?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
We plan to replace existing electric smooth top range with new one.
However we wonder if we can replace with gas. The range is on interior
kitchen wall with microwave about 18-20" above it, has metal bottom
and fans and we will replace that too with similar. Will the gas
flames put too much heat on the microwave?

Is it an Over The Range microwave? If so, then you are OK. If it is not,
it could be a problem. I've been using OTR microwaves for the past 15+
years now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
ps.com...
We plan to replace existing electric smooth top range with new one.
However we wonder if we can replace with gas. The range is on interior
kitchen wall with microwave about 18-20" above it, has metal bottom
and fans and we will replace that too with similar. Will the gas
flames put too much heat on the microwave?

Is the person doing the cooking aware that cooking on gas vs. electric is
very different?

Usually if one is used to one, they don't like cooking on the other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 2:29 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

We plan to replace existing electric smooth top range with new one.
However we wonder if we can replace with gas. The range is on interior
kitchen wall with microwave about 18-20" above it, has metal bottom
and fans and we will replace that too with similar. Will the gas
flames put too much heat on the microwave?

Is the person doing the cooking aware that cooking on gas vs. electric is
very different?

Usually if one is used to one, they don't like cooking on the other.

To answer the original question, as long as the microwave is designed
for over the range installation, it should be OK, as the ones I have
seen are compatible with typical gas as well as electric ranges.
Check the spec sheet for the ones you are considering, which should be
avail online. You do need to mount it the minimum specd distance
above the range. I had one in a condo years ago and it worked OK as
far as temp issues. It had a temp sensor that would turn the fan on
if it got too hot from the range below.

BTW, if you can, I would always vent a range hood outside. I've
never seen a recycling type that was worth a tinker's damn.

downdraft range vent - hook it up? N8N Home Repair 4 December 1st 06 02:54 PM
Looking for a range hood with an offset vent CAS Home Repair 0 May 31st 06 03:36 PM
over the range microwave vent locations Dan Home Ownership 6 March 29th 06 08:23 PM
Range Vent? Ralph D. Home Repair 4 January 25th 05 06:57 PM
Range hood vs. over-the-range microwave - which vent is better? Stan Home Repair 6 January 15th 05 02:45 AM