Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing window labels

I just bought a new window for our porch. The window was fine, but
the damn label they put on it was a major pain to remove. I had to
spend an hour pulling, scraping, and using a sharp blade to scrape off
the glue. If I had replaced all the windows in the house, I would be
calling the manufacturer and telling them to send one of their
employees to remove the labels for me (at their cost). I have 16
windows, and 16 hours of labor to remove their labels is not something
I am willing to do because there is no reason they need to glue these
things onto the glass. They could have just inserted the paper
between the panes. These labels serve no purpose anyhow, except to
advertise themselves. The instructions are pretty useless.

If I ever do replace all my windows, I already plan to order a custom
order WITHOUT any glued labels. It seems that everything we buy these
days either has some paper glued to it, or the stuff is enclosed in a
clamshell plastic thing that needs a chainsaw to open. As a consumer,
I am always ready to fight back when they do stupid things like this.
Monday I will be calling their 800 number and raising hell. I plan to
tell them my hourly wage that I earn, and that I expect them to pay me
that anount for the hour I spent removing their damn label. It's too
bad more people dont complain about things like this, if they did,
maybe we'd start to see some changes. Apparently these companies hire
idiots to design their labels and the glue used to attach them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 5:51 am, wrote:
[...]

Odd. I have found that they come right off if I remove them right
away, but they get "welded on" by baking in the sun. What brand of
windows were they?

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I just bought a new window for our porch. The window was fine, but
the damn label they put on it was a major pain to remove. I had to
spend an hour pulling, scraping, and using a sharp blade to scrape off
the glue. If I had replaced all the windows in the house, I would be
calling the manufacturer and telling them to send one of their
employees to remove the labels for me (at their cost). I have 16
windows, and 16 hours of labor to remove their labels is not something
I am willing to do because there is no reason they need to glue these
things onto the glass. They could have just inserted the paper
between the panes. These labels serve no purpose anyhow, except to
advertise themselves. The instructions are pretty useless.

They should use a couple of strips of fugitive glue, sometimes called
"booger glue". That's the stretchy peelable stuff that's used to stick
special covers onto magazines and coins onto charity appeal letters.

For some silly reason I've the same feeling about auto dealers slapping
their own dealership's name on the trunk of a brand new car I buy from
them. I make a point of having the salesman note that on the paperwork,
ans since I started doing that about 30 years ago, the've all followed
through.

I've never had the cajones to ask a car salesman,"How much will you take
off the price as an "advertising fee" discount if I let you stick your
place's name on my new car?" G

If I ever do replace all my windows, I already plan to order a custom
order WITHOUT any glued labels. It seems that everything we buy these
days either has some paper glued to it, or the stuff is enclosed in a
clamshell plastic thing that needs a chainsaw to open. As a consumer,
I am always ready to fight back when they do stupid things like this.
Monday I will be calling their 800 number and raising hell. I plan to
tell them my hourly wage that I earn, and that I expect them to pay me
that anount for the hour I spent removing their damn label. It's too
bad more people dont complain about things like this, if they did,
maybe we'd start to see some changes. Apparently these companies hire
idiots to design their labels and the glue used to attach them.

I've found that a little mineral spirits (paint thinner) on a wad of rag
works pretty well to remove most labels from smooth surfaces like glass
and baked on enamel paint.

If the label has a glazed surface, scratch it up a bit with a razor
blade scraper or even a sharp paring knife and daub the mineral spirits
on. Go away for 15 minutes, then come back and see how much easier it
will be to get the label off by scraping with the edge of a credit card,
then getting the glue off with mineral spirits.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

removing metal window frame jason UK diy 5 July 6th 07 06:54 PM
removing window? bob UK diy 6 August 16th 06 09:43 AM
Removing storm window caulking [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 27th 05 02:08 PM
Removing Anglian DG window to get furniture in Dave P UK diy 5 March 4th 05 03:59 PM
Window hinge - best way of removing Set Square UK diy 8 July 27th 04 12:36 AM