Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT sort of; bottled water

So at least one bottled water company admitted today that they use tap
water. I forget its name, wikipedia or something, but iiuc they've
only changed their label to say p.w.s. on the bottles, which most
people still won't know stands for public water source.

Someone from the water industry, maybe this company, was interviewed
on the evening news, and he said that the water was processed in 7
stages, including reverse osmosis, ozification, something I forget,
and distillation.

Distillation is the one I don't get? First, it would cost a lot of
money to steam distill all the water, and steam distillation is the
only distillation that meets the def. of distillation, afaik (not
counting natural evaporation and rain). Second, it takes all the good
tasting minerals out of the water.

So what sort of distillation are they talking about? Or are they
pulling our legs?

I figure this is partly on topic because you guys are always talking
about well water and hard water and doing all kinds of things to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in message ...
So at least one bottled water company admitted today that they use

tap
water. I forget its name, wikipedia or something, but iiuc they've
only changed their label to say p.w.s. on the bottles, which most
people still won't know stands for public water source.

Aqua Fina a division of Pepsi.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:08:16 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

mm wrote in message ...
So at least one bottled water company admitted today that they use

tap
water. I forget its name, wikipedia or something, but iiuc they've
only changed their label to say p.w.s. on the bottles, which most
people still won't know stands for public water source.

Aqua Fina a division of Pepsi.

That's it. Somehow Aqua Fina reminds me of wikipedia. The i, the k
sound, the f/p sounds (which some languages treat as similar,
including English (ph=f for some reason.)) Thanks.

Disani is another one that is tap water.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cam Cam is offline

Aquafina and Dasani are made from concentrate.
They take tap water, remove all the minerals and then add back exactly
what they want. It's the same philosophy that they use for cola. The
manufacturer ships concentrate across the country instead of shipping
water.
Coke is made from tap water too. Big deal.

Cam

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Cam wrote:

Aquafina and Dasani are made from concentrate.

Say what? Concentrate? Powdered water? That's ridiculous!

The manufacturer ships concentrate across the country
instead of shipping water.

Concentrated water. Right. I respectfully challenge your assertion and
counter that, indeed, "whole" undiluted (huh?) water is shipped - in those
little bottles - all across the country.

Coke is made from tap water too. Big deal.

Now THAT does involved concentrate. It's called syrup. It's mixed with
LOCAL, purified, carbonated water at various bottling plants nation/worldwide
before distribution.

Concentrated water. Hehehehehehehe!
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article .com,
Cam wrote:

Aquafina and Dasani are made from concentrate.

Say what? Concentrate? Powdered water? That's ridiculous!

The manufacturer ships concentrate across the country
instead of shipping water.

Concentrated water. Right. I respectfully challenge your assertion and
counter that, indeed, "whole" undiluted (huh?) water is shipped - in those
little bottles - all across the country.

Coke is made from tap water too. Big deal.

Now THAT does involved concentrate. It's called syrup. It's mixed with
LOCAL, purified, carbonated water at various bottling plants nation/worldwide
before distribution.

Concentrated water. Hehehehehehehe!

Hi,
Mayve he meant neavy water? Yikes!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Cam Cam is offline

On Jul 29, 11:42 pm, Jim Redelfs
wrote:
In article .com,

Cam wrote:
Aquafina and Dasani are made from concentrate.

Say what? Concentrate? Powdered water? That's ridiculous!

The concentrate is the mixture of minerals that give the water it's
taste. It is mostly Magnesium Sulfate and Potassium Chloride. That
concentrate is mixed with local, purified water at various bottling
plants nation/worldwide before distribution just like Coke and Pepsi.

Cam

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
So at least one bottled water company admitted today that they use tap
water. I forget its name, wikipedia or something, but iiuc they've
only changed their label to say p.w.s. on the bottles, which most
people still won't know stands for public water source.

They used to say P.W.S. Now it will say public water source.

Someone from the water industry, maybe this company, was interviewed
on the evening news, and he said that the water was processed in 7
stages, including reverse osmosis, ozification, something I forget,
and distillation.

Distillation is the one I don't get? First, it would cost a lot of
money to steam distill all the water, and steam distillation is the
only distillation that meets the def. of distillation, afaik (not
counting natural evaporation and rain). Second, it takes all the good
tasting minerals out of the water.

So what sort of distillation are they talking about? Or are they
pulling our legs?

They claim to sell purified water. There are several ways to do that,
including RO, distillation, and filtration.
Distillation and RO will remove all the minerals, but they add them back
afterwards.
They all cost money, but given that the materials are nearly free, the
profit margin is incredible.
The public is outraged over $3/gal gas, but will pay that much for a quart
of water without complaint.
I can't tell it from tap water, but that's just me.

I figure this is partly on topic because you guys are always talking
about well water and hard water and doing all kinds of things to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Toller" wrote in message

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Dasani... taste great! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Whatever works for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I buy a bottle and fill it about half way with tap water. Lay it
in the freezer. next day, I fill it up and take it with me. I
usually take three or four of these each morning in the truck
with me. Amazing, how long a water bottle lasts. Soda pop
bottles are heavier plastic, and last even longer than that.

I can't imagine why people keep buying new bottles when they are
so easy to refil.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

: They claim to sell purified water. There are several ways
to do that,
: including RO, distillation, and filtration.
: Distillation and RO will remove all the minerals, but they
add them back
: afterwards.
: They all cost money, but given that the materials are nearly
free, the
: profit margin is incredible.
: The public is outraged over $3/gal gas, but will pay that
much for a
: quart
: of water without complaint.
: I can't tell it from tap water, but that's just me.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I buy a bottle and fill it about half way with tap water. Lay it
in the freezer. next day, I fill it up and take it with me. I
usually take three or four of these each morning in the truck
with me. Amazing, how long a water bottle lasts. Soda pop
bottles are heavier plastic, and last even longer than that.

I can't imagine why people keep buying new bottles when they are
so easy to refil.

Bacteria

It's not wise to reuse a bottle for a prolong time by refilling it!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Toller" wrote in message

"mm" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Hmmm,
You mean tap water is free?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 04:03:12 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:
You mean tap water is free?

So cheap that the only reason they meter it is so they can charge you
for the chemicals they put in. Ever figure the cost per gallon? It's
cheaper than dirt!

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:00:52 -0600, sylvan butler
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 04:03:12 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:
You mean tap water is free?

So cheap that the only reason they meter it is so they can charge you
for the chemicals they put in. Ever figure the cost per gallon? It's
cheaper than dirt!

I heard that bottled water cost between 200 and 200,000 times the cost
of tap water.

sdb

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 03:45:22 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
So at least one bottled water company admitted today that they use tap
water. I forget its name, wikipedia or something, but iiuc they've
only changed their label to say p.w.s. on the bottles, which most
people still won't know stands for public water source.

They used to say P.W.S. Now it will say public water source.

OK. That's good. (I'm sure some people will misunderstand that, but
still, it's pretty good. There is a spring near here, right along the
road. I should go sometime. It's 15 miles away, and I'm not sure
where, but I could find it.

So what sort of distillation are they talking about? Or are they
pulling our legs?

They claim to sell purified water. There are several ways to do that,
including RO, distillation, and filtration.
Distillation and RO will remove all the minerals, but they add them back
afterwards.

So they distill it and add "the" minersals back afterwards. That
doesn't sound very natural, and if they use the very same minerals it
sounds like a waste of time**. If they use different minerals, iut
sounds freaky.

**OK, maybe they put back everything but the chlorine, but I like
chlorine. The greenness disguises the fact that my teeth aren't very
white.

You only have to boil water for a minute or two to kill all the germs.
You don't have to evaporate all of it. And it won't have any germs if
it has been chlorinated.

They all cost money, but given that the materials are nearly free, the
profit margin is incredible.
The public is outraged over $3/gal gas, but will pay that much for a quart
of water without complaint.
I can't tell it from tap water, but that's just me.

Neither can I, even with spring water, and if I ever noticed a
difference, it would do me no good, because I'm going to drink tap
water.

They say that bottled water costs between 200 and 200,000 times what
tap water costs.

Before I got to Geneva, my friend found out for me how to say tap
water. It's eau d'robinette, iirc. It's not in the paperback
dictionary, so write it down. (Although maybe robinette means a
spigot??, and that would be in the dictionary.) We went out to an
fairly expensive restaurant once, and though I asked for that, they
brought each of us a small bottle of water. I went out to the car and
got my canteen, and after the first bottle, just used the water from
that to fill my glass. She's by no means a spendthrift, but didn't
like what I was doing. Fortunately, she's not my girlfriend either, so
I just kept doing it with no price to pay. I think the bottle was a
dollar and a quarter or more, and I drank 6 bottles' worth. No way am
I paying 7 1/2 dollars for water for one meal. I still think 7 1/2
dollars is enough to buy a whole meal.

I figure this is partly on topic because you guys are always talking
about well water and hard water and doing all kinds of things to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Before I got to Geneva, my friend found out for me how to say tap
water. It's eau d'robinette, iirc. It's not in the paperback
dictionary, so write it down. (Although maybe robinette means a
spigot??, and that would be in the dictionary.) We went out to an
fairly expensive restaurant once, and though I asked for that, they
brought each of us a small bottle of water. I went out to the car and
got my canteen, and after the first bottle, just used the water from
that to fill my glass. She's by no means a spendthrift, but didn't
like what I was doing. Fortunately, she's not my girlfriend either, so
I just kept doing it with no price to pay. I think the bottle was a
dollar and a quarter or more, and I drank 6 bottles' worth. No way am
I paying 7 1/2 dollars for water for one meal. I still think 7 1/2
dollars is enough to buy a whole meal.

I had dinner several years ago with a non-drinking coworker in Geneva.
He said it was funny that his water and my beer cost about the same
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
I had dinner several years ago with a non-drinking coworker in Geneva.
He said it was funny that his water and my beer cost about the same

Yes, and the joke was on him.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Every time I see someone with bottled water, I think of someone sitting in the
garage filling thousands of bottles with water coming from an old rubber garden
hose, and giggling as he pictures his bank account growing.

I just can't figure out what the big attraction of bottled water is.
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site: www.destarr.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/27/2007 11:45 PM Toller said the following:
"mm" wrote in message

So at least one bottled water company admitted today that they use tap
water. I forget its name, wikipedia or something, but iiuc they've
only changed their label to say p.w.s. on the bottles, which most
people still won't know stands for public water source.

They used to say P.W.S. Now it will say public water source.

It's funny that the bottled water does not have the source of the water
on the label. I thought it was law, like the big bottles that are used
in office water coolers. On the cap is listed the source of the water,
and not just 'public water system', but the actual source, and where I
worked, it came from a reservoir in the next state, which probably means
tap water.

[...]

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

It's funny that the bottled water does not have the source of the water on
the label. I thought it was law, like the big bottles that are used in
office water coolers.

No, that is why they are trying to make it the law. Some companies have
both natural spring and filtered water. Hard to believe that we spend so
much money on something as plentiful and easily obtained. I admit our town
water tastes terrible, but a carbon filter makes it as good as any I've ever
had for $10 every three or four months for a cartridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:36:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

It's funny that the bottled water does not have the source of the water on
the label. I thought it was law, like the big bottles that are used in
office water coolers.

No, that is why they are trying to make it the law. Some companies have
both natural spring and filtered water. Hard to believe that we spend so
much money on something as plentiful and easily obtained. I admit our town
water tastes terrible, but a carbon filter makes it as good as any I've ever
had for $10 every three or four months for a cartridge.

That's only 40 dollars a year. You should really buy bottled water
for 100's a year. It's the American way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Steam distillation isn't the only method used. As for putting the minerals
back, it does sound wasteful, but really it isn't if you consider what they
are looking for. Suppose the water had (ignore the numbers they're just
examples) 5% iron, 1% manganese, 0.5% sodium, and 20% copper - it might
taste fine out of the tap, but they're selling a product and that product
has to be consistent with every batch. So they remove the minerals, then
put them back in the exact proportions required by the company - 4.33% iron,
0.6% manganese, 1% sodium, 10% copper. They can only do that by distilling
it, then adding the minerals back. Seasons come and go and the mineral
content changes with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:41:35 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I see your point, and you make it well.

STill, this seems like so much trouble. I was happier when I thought
they just opened the faucet and let it fill the bottle.

I think that was the system in the office I worked in NYC where they
had these really big bottles that went upside down in the water
dispenser. They did this because I think there was no water pipe
handy. I think the bottles didn't even have a company name on them.

My ex=girlfriend has a water filter on her sink faucet. When I'm
there, I've tried to be nice to her by using the filtered water, so I
won't seem to be scoffing at her. She says the water tastes terrible.
She lives 10 miles away and uses the same water company, Baltimore,
that I do, and I think the water tastes fine. So I'm going to go to
her house and drink straight from the tap and see if I can taste a
difference from mine. Both of our immediate n'hoods are about 30 or
40 years old, but there were some houses in both places 40 years
earlier, so I don't know much about the water mains, or if hers are
like mine.

Our water comes from 3 big reservoirs. I'm not sure what the soil is
made of or how much they keep fertilizer etc. from being used in the
watershed. There are a lot of hills and streams here so some
watersheds are pretty narrow, but I think there is farmland upstream
from one reservoir.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 1:11 am, mm wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:41:35 -0700, "Eigenvector"

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

from one reservoir.- Hide quoted text -

In NYC the green folks are now going after the bottled water makers.
And they have a good point. Shipping all this water around uses a
lot of energy. Some of it comes from overseas. How much energy does
it take to ship water from Fiji to NYC? And then there are all the
plastic bottles, which take resources and energy to make and are a
disposal problem. If you think about it, it's pretty stupid, when
California wants to ban incandescent light bulbs to save energy.
Especially when NYC tap water has won blind tasting tests as one of
the best drinking waters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 07:01:31 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I agree with you. When I lived in Brooklyn 32-24 years ago, everyone
in the city drank tap water and they were happy.

How is the third water tunnel coming?

I have a feeling the NY reservoirs are better than the ones around
here, because I think NY got started earlier.

Baltimore was, in terms of sewage, sort of a cesspool for several
decades after other cities had taken action. The city would just
discharge untreated sewage into the Jones Falls, sort of the primary
river on the north side of Baltimore. So I'm thinking, but haven't
checked, that they relied on wells or streams for water longer than
NYC.

Besides our 3 reservoirs, there are two south and southwest of here
that supply Washington DC. The WSSD, iirc, Washington Sewer and
Sanitary District maybe. Besides miscellaneous houses and farmhouses,
they flooded a whole town when they built one, less than 100 years
ago, I think. During one drought, parts of the town became visible
again. (The cemetery wasn't flooded, unlike in Deliverance)

Back to Baltimore, I think maybe the third reservoir is only about 70
years old, and when it was built, the designer wanted a pipeline to
the Delaware river, maybe 40 miles away, in case we ever ran out of
water. Some people argued with him but he was respected and they did
what he wanted. Finally used it about 60 years later, probably during
the same drought.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 28, 1:11 am, mm wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:41:35 -0700, "Eigenvector"

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The "purified water" like Aquafina and Dasani are produced locally and
not shipped internationally, something the "green" types either don't
understand or willfully ignore. They also ignore the shelf life aspect
as well, try bottling tap water for your emergency kit (earthquake,
tornado, hurricane, etc.) and then test it to see if it's safe to drink
a year later.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Pete C."
wrote:

The "purified water" like Aquafina and Dasani are produced locally and
not shipped internationally, something the "green" types either don't
understand or willfully ignore.

I vote for "willfully ignore". Let's not complicate their debate with facts,
common sense or economics.

try bottling tap water for your emergency kit (earthquake, tornado,
hurricane, etc.) and then test it to see if it's safe to drink
a year later.

Aw, I think you're being a bit too rough on tap water, Pete.

As an RVer of many years, I have become a quasi-expert on the "care and
feeding" of a water system. I'm sure that wine-makers and home brewers are
equally, or more, up-to-speed, water-wise.

Of course, my contention that year-old tap water is quite safe and stable
requires that the water is in compliance with EPA standards for the municipal
system of a first-class city. It also requires careful storage practices: A
clean container/system and storage in a dark, temperate environment.

I suspect there is more EMOTION and hype directed at the bottled water
consumer than any REAL health or safety benefit. I prefer cheap, bottled
water during the summer because, when drinking it in quantity with ice,
purified water simply "tastes" better. It has virtually NO taste to me.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS

The "purified water" like Aquafina and Dasani are produced locally and
not shipped internationally, something the "green" types either don't
understand or willfully ignore. They also ignore the shelf life aspect
as well, try bottling tap water for your emergency kit (earthquake,
tornado, hurricane, etc.) and then test it to see if it's safe to drink
a year later.

Pete C.

Too few first class and eagle scouts around these days.

Making tap water storable and safe isnt difficult.

It takes an eyedroper and liquid clorine bleach, and you'll never know
bu the taste its been "fixed" if stored in gallon or larger jugs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

This bottled water issue can get very complicated the way I see it. Twenty
some odd years ago I remember hearing something like "there is good news and
bad news. The bad news is that by the year 2000 the drinking water will not
be fit for human consumption. The good news is there will not be enough to
go around".

Now the "Bottled Water" market is in the news with many stories from many
different angles. Some want to ban it and get everyone back to public water
supplies saying the manufacturing of plastic containers are bad for the
environment and use to much energy and so forth. I have been using bottled
water for much longer then twenty years because of the uncertain quality of
local water supplies in my area. Well water used to be great until ground
water quality stared to become unsafe for many reasons. Salt was being used
on roads more and more and insecticides were becoming widely used on lawns
and gardens. Acid rain increased over the years and pollution became more
common so now the wells have to be carefully placed and drilled much deeper
if at all.

We have suffered some major floods in our area which made it necessary to
add more chemicals to our local water that effected the taste and made the
consistency of water quality suspect. Some communities have reported cases
of contamination that required residents to boil drinking water until
further notice. Hospital waste has been washing up on beaches and sewerage
has made its way into reservoirs not to mention threats of intentional
contamination by those new breed of bad guys that have become a tool used to
scare the bejesus out of everyone.

Bottled water may rise to $3.00 a gallon but I will still prefer it over
any public water source that will meet the standards set that can be much
lower then what might be acceptable to me. What is wrong with treating it
like any other beverage like Coke or Pepsi?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jonesie" wrote in message

We have suffered some major floods in our area which made it necessary to
add more chemicals to our local water that effected the taste and made the
consistency of water quality suspect. Some communities have reported cases
of contamination that required residents to boil drinking water until
further notice. Hospital waste has been washing up on beaches and sewerage
has made its way into reservoirs not to mention threats of intentional
contamination by those new breed of bad guys that have become a tool used
to scare the bejesus out of everyone.

Bottled water may rise to $3.00 a gallon but I will still prefer it over
any public water source that will meet the standards set that can be much
lower then what might be acceptable to me. What is wrong with treating it
like any other beverage like Coke or Pepsi?

So where does your bottled water come from? The same sources that have the
salt, fertilizer, hospital waste and fish poop that your local source uses.
No way around it. You may have local problems, but that bottle of water you
just bought may have been my urine last week. I use a charcoal filter for
my water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Jonesie" wrote in message

[...]

You seem to loose sight of the fact that the municipal water supply
treats water so that it meets the standards for municipal water, while
the bottling plant takes that municipal water and treats it to a higher
standard for beverage production, a standard that is a good deal higher
than what your charcoal filter will produce.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 4:32?am, "Jonesie" wrote:

Bottled water may rise to $3.00 a gallon but I will still prefer it over
any public water source that will meet the standards set that can be much
lower then what might be acceptable to me. What is wrong with treating it
like any other beverage like Coke or Pepsi?

If you do the math, at $1.00 per pint, it is already well over $3.oo
per gallon. It sits at about $8.00 per gallon.

Even at $1 per liter bottle, you are close to $4.00 per gallon

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm,

Like you I caught that on the tube. I only gave it 1/2 an ear but I don't
think the expert said that they use all of these different processes in a
sequence to create "pure" water. I think he was saying that any of these
processes will get the job done. I do buy distilled water at the supermarket
occasionally.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It has been known for years that much of the water sold as bottled
water is tap water. I have told people that, and have had them
insisit that it wasn't true, even when I showed them articles with
quotes from company representatives.

I love the responses as well. It is the same response I have heard
for a variety of actions taken when logic points in a different
direction: "I'm doing it for me", or "You're supposed to drink eight
glasses od water every day".

What they are saying is "I'm doing something for which there is no
logical reasoning, but I am able to fool myself into believing that
there is so i can pretend that I am doing something that is better for
me, or makes me look more aware".

Even if there was research backing up the eight glasses a day idea,
you don't have to pay a dollar or two a pint to do it when you can get
it for about 1/1000 of that. I especially love to hear someone
standing there with a $2 pint of water griping about gas prices.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:38:56 -0700, "
wrote:

It has been known for years that much of the water sold as bottled
water is tap water. I have told people that, and have had them
insisit that it wasn't true, even when I showed them articles with
quotes from company representatives.

LOL

I love the responses as well. It is the same response I have heard
for a variety of actions taken when logic points in a different
direction: "I'm doing it for me", or "You're supposed to drink eight
glasses od water every day".

They say something like that, but the number is nonsense. I drink
loads of water, but I can't drink the numbe they say, proably 8.

I keep a half-gallon milk bottle full of water in the fridge,
sometimes two bottles, but it takes a day and a quarter to drink one
of them.

I'm only 5'8" but if that makes a difference, they should say so.
There are plenty of people smaller than I am.

What they are saying is "I'm doing something for which there is no
logical reasoning, but I am able to fool myself into believing that
there is so i can pretend that I am doing something that is better for
me, or makes me look more aware".

Yup.

Even if there was research backing up the eight glasses a day idea,
you don't have to pay a dollar or two a pint to do it when you can get
it for about 1/1000 of that. I especially love to hear someone
standing there with a $2 pint of water griping about gas prices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We have these small buildings around strip malls that sell water.
Folks can go buy a five gallon jug. I see many construction workers
filling the IGLOO coolers for the day. All this water is from an RO
system in the water stand. Not sure how much it cost, though.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've lived in towns, and worked at job sites, where the water tasted
terrible, due to mineral content. Probably safe to drink, but tasted like
crap. Pure distilled water doesn't taste great either. (lack of some
chemical? Low 'free' O2 content? Jump in here, fellow from the water
treatment company.)

In situations like that, I could probably rationalize away buying bottle or
jug water for drinking water purposes, the same as when they have an oopsie
with the treatment plant, or a flood or something, and tell everyone not to
drink the tap water. As for me, I only buy bottle water when traveling, to
have something chilled to sip on the highway. (I never remember to pack a
cooler, and pretty much all the soda pop they sell in the stations tastes
like crap to me.)

My well water here is tolerable tasting, but not great. Had to put in a
softener due to iron content. Fridge has a door dispenser with a filter, but
the line is tea-kettled up, and a bottle takes forever to fill. If I dump
the ice bin in the sink, after it melts, it leaves a white ring. Best
tasting water I've ever had was from wells, but you have to hit the right
water layer- I've seen subdivisions where everyone had deep wells that
tasted like crap, but there was a layer of sweet water at less than 20 feet.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
ups.com...

Even if there was research backing up the eight glasses a day idea,

There's medical people that will back this up....

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

Even if there was research backing up the eight glasses a day idea,

There's medical people that will back this up....

But they will also tell you that the recommendation does not have to mean 8
glasses of "water". Everything that has water in it qualifies toward the daily
allowance (even the food you eat).

That many people have perverted the advice to mean "I must drink 64 ounces of
clear unadulterated H2O per day" is not surprising given that most people are
clueless.