Posted to uk.d-i-y
mink

Default Bottled Gas Water Heater for Indoors?

Hi,
I am living in a house which is currently connected to the Water mains,
but not to the gas and electricity. The house will go renovation some
time next year, not before next spring. I was thinking of using a gas
heater of the type used in caravans in order to have hot water (to
shower, and also to wash dishes if possible, though this is less
important - I can heat some water on my cooking gas stove).
Does this sound a good idea?
Does anyone have concrete suggestions - which make, shop etc?
Are there reasons against using such heaters indoors?

Many Thanks
Marcus Mink

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Are there reasons against using such heaters indoors?

These heaters require flueing, which might be quite difficult to achieve in
a building. Without the correct flue arrangements, they will be very
dangerous.

If you are going to get a gas main, consider fitting a normal gas combi
boiler. If you choose wisely, you can get a model that can be converted
between LPG (the big cylinders) and natural gas (wot comes through the
mains).

This way, you even get central heating (at considerable expense, mind) until
the natural gas main is available. You also don't end up with an expensive
appliance that will be surplus to requirements.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Are there reasons against using such heaters indoors?

These heaters require flueing, which might be quite difficult to achieve
in
a building. Without the correct flue arrangements, they will be very
dangerous.

Not necessarily.

Some types of water heater designed for use in caravans and boats with
bottled gas do not need flues - ours doesn't. You do need a battery powered
pump.

Of course you don't get huge amounts of hot water but as a temporary
solution I'd consider it.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Some types of water heater designed for use in caravans and boats with
bottled gas do not need flues - ours doesn't. You do need a battery

powered
pump.

The old deathtrap ones didn't. However, I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one.
They fill the house with water vapour and carbon monoxide.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Mary Fisher expressed precisely :
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Are there reasons against using such heaters indoors?

These heaters require flueing, which might be quite difficult to achieve in
a building. Without the correct flue arrangements, they will be very
dangerous.

Not necessarily.

Some types of water heater designed for use in caravans and boats with
bottled gas do not need flues - ours doesn't. You do need a battery powered
pump.

Of course you don't get huge amounts of hot water but as a temporary solution
I'd consider it.

Mary

Sorry Mary, I would very much advise against the use of an un-flued
water heater.

The more recent ones are flued via the side of a caravan or through the
floor - about a 5" square opening. They don't store much hot water and
need to have the water under pressure before they will operate. The
under pressure part could be achieved with a simple cistern mounted up
high. The same basic units work on gas, electric or both.

Trouble is they are very expensive indeed. Could you not use an
ordinary electric water heater?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Mary Fisher expressed precisely :
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Are there reasons against using such heaters indoors?

These heaters require flueing, which might be quite difficult to achieve
in
a building. Without the correct flue arrangements, they will be very
dangerous.

Not necessarily.

Some types of water heater designed for use in caravans and boats with
bottled gas do not need flues - ours doesn't. You do need a battery
powered pump.

Of course you don't get huge amounts of hot water but as a temporary
solution I'd consider it.

Mary

Sorry Mary, I would very much advise against the use of an un-flued water
heater.

You'd be wrong. The one we have in the caravan is recommended NOT to have a
flue. We've used it for some time now and it's not a problem. It's only like
heating a kettle of water on a gas ring after all - you don't need
additional ventilation for that :-)

The more recent ones are flued via the side of a caravan or through the
floor - about a 5" square opening. They don't store much hot water and
need to have the water under pressure before they will operate. The under
pressure part could be achieved with a simple cistern mounted up high. The
same basic units work on gas, electric or both.

You're talking about a completely different type of water heater - I wasn't
talking about a stored water heating system but an instant, constant supply,
like a cistern.

Trouble is they are very expensive indeed. Could you not use an ordinary
electric water heater?

He doesn't have electricity yet, that's why I suggested a temporary solution

Mary

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:09:05 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

[...]

I'd be interested what make and model it is (ask spouse?) Is it a
Rinnai? (REU 58E)

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mink

Thank you all for responding. As I said this is a temporary situation
but one that may last a few months. This is why I am looking for
solutions.
Mary - Could you please specify a model/make?
Marcus Mink

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Mary Fisher expressed precisely :
"Christian McArdle" wrote in
message
[...]

It's a Rinnai, can't remember the model. Hang on looks through caravan
file

Can't find the paperwork :-(

We've had it for a few years so the model has probably been updated anyway.
Made for caravans and boats, we bought it from a place in Lancashire - the
old memory is going fast ... Swinton or something like that. They make
domestic ones too.

Mail me if you want more info.

Mary

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:57:31 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

..
I'd be interested what make and model it is (ask spouse?) Is it a
Rinnai? (REU 58E)

It's a Rinnai, can't remember the model. Hang on looks through caravan
file

Can't find the paperwork :-(

We've had it for a few years so the model has probably been updated anyway.
Made for caravans and boats, we bought it from a place in Lancashire - the
old memory is going fast ... Swinton or something like that. They make
domestic ones too.

Does it look like this? :

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/commerce.cgi?pid=766

If the OP is still reading they can also be bought from caravan
appliance, chandlers and off Ebay. Ebay would also be a good way to
sell it when it's finished with.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does it look like this? :

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/commerce.cgi?pid=766

Yes.

If the OP is still reading they can also be bought from caravan
appliance, chandlers and off Ebay. Ebay would also be a good way to
sell it when it's finished with.

As I said, we bought it some time ago and it wasn't available from caravan
appliance sellers, in fact when we asked about them they said various things
such as they'd be illegal and that they wouldn't work etc. They're not
illegal, they work - beautifully.

Mary

cheers,
Pete.