Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dark Areas on Walls

On some interior walls in my house, I'm noticing dark patches that
seem to be appearing between studs. The walls are sheetrock that have
been painted a light color, and in several places, darkish, smokelike
color is emerging through the paint. Most of them appear high up, near
where the wall meets the ceiling. In the largest spot (about 3'
high), I can clearly make out where two studs straddle the dark area,
as if whatever is causing the darkening is trapped between the two
studs. What could be causing this discoloration?

-Fleemo

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On some interior walls in my house, I'm noticing dark patches that
seem to be appearing between studs. The walls are sheetrock that have
been painted a light color, and in several places, darkish, smokelike
color is emerging through the paint. Most of them appear high up, near
where the wall meets the ceiling. In the largest spot (about 3'
high), I can clearly make out where two studs straddle the dark area,
as if whatever is causing the darkening is trapped between the two
studs. What could be causing this discoloration?

-Fleemo

Is your house in Toronto near Queen and Broadview?

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/223746

Probably moisture.
--
bmickey9

Enjoy'em yourself or pass'em along
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Yeah, a real cold case.

"bmickey9" wrote in message
news:1i1t9j3.a5e72p184gneN%bmickey9@sbcglobalNOSPA M.net...
wrote:

On some interior walls in my house, I'm noticing dark patches that
seem to be appearing between studs. The walls are sheetrock that have
been painted a light color, and in several places, darkish, smokelike
color is emerging through the paint. Most of them appear high up, near
where the wall meets the ceiling. In the largest spot (about 3'
high), I can clearly make out where two studs straddle the dark area,
as if whatever is causing the darkening is trapped between the two
studs. What could be causing this discoloration?

-Fleemo

Is your house in Toronto near Queen and Broadview?

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/223746

Probably moisture.
--
bmickey9

Enjoy'em yourself or pass'em along

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote...
What could be causing this discoloration?

Mold.

Check for roof leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the input here.

Mold. Check for roof leaks.

It makes sense it would be in this particular room. This room did
have a leak in the ceiling which has been fixed. But do I have a
bigger problem now? Will the mold go away now that the roof is fixed,
or do I have to tear apart some walls? Is mold like this typically
toxic? I have a new baby in the house and want to be sure to do
whatever I need to do quickly.

By the way, the ceiling in this room is a vaulted ceiling, so there's
not much space above it in the attic, but some.

-Fleemo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:27:06 -0700, Abe wrote:

wrote:
On some interior walls in my house, I'm noticing dark patches that
seem to be appearing between studs. SNIP In the largest spot (about 3'
high), I can clearly make out where two studs straddle the dark area,
as if whatever is causing the darkening is trapped between the two
studs. What could be causing this discoloration?

Moisture would be the number one likely culprit...

Inadequate or nonexistent priming could be another.

I have to go with priming - over a lousy insulation job. As air moves
back and forth through the wall, bigger dirt particles get trapped on
the wall's surface. Only you will know if you can/should get more
insulation and a proper vapor barrier into that wall. In the interim,
I would scrub the wall and then prime the entire wall with one of the
commercial products like KILZ which advertizes it will cover anything.
Years ago (maybe still do) Glidden sold a vapor barrier paint for such
problems. Other mfgrs may.
You could get what you use tinted to match the current color if you
are enamored of it.
HTH

Posted to alt.home.repair

fleemo,

If you think that it is mold then have an expert check so you'll know
whether it is a harmful mold. Use some caution, there are many crooks in the
"mold" business.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Martel wrote:
fleemo,

If you think that it is mold then have an expert check so you'll
know whether it is a harmful mold. Use some caution, there are many
crooks in the "mold" business.

Dave M.

Good advice. Most molds are harmless, but some are not and there is no
simple and accurate way for most of us to tell.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

So how would I determine whether it is indeed mold or not? Will it
actually be fuzzy black mold on the wall surface? (It's up very high
on a wall in a high-valuted room so I haven't been able to examine it
closely yet.) If it is mold, must the walls be torn out, or is there a
surface treatment I can use?

- Fleemo

Mains gas areas? ian UK diy 33 January 11th 07 11:06 AM
Insulating un-climate controlled areas nhurst Home Repair 6 July 22nd 06 01:12 AM
post pounding through wet areas [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 10th 06 04:55 AM
Paint peeling from filled areas Mark Drayton UK diy 0 August 25th 03 11:58 AM