Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Glass Patio Table

Need replacement glass for 54 (53.5) inch round patio table,
preferably with a hole in the center. Price quoted here in the DC
area was over 400 bucks. Anyone ever tried LEXAN as a replaement??
IF so what price or a better price for glass??
Marshel OShields

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 7:53 pm, WalkingMan wrote:
Need replacement glass for 54 (53.5) inch round patio table,
preferably with a hole in the center. Price quoted here in the DC
area was over 400 bucks. Anyone ever tried LEXAN as a replaement??
IF so what price or a better price for glass??
Marshel OShields

Lexan changes dimension with temperature and scratches.
I'd buy glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WalkingMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Need replacement glass for 54 (53.5) inch round patio table,
preferably with a hole in the center. Price quoted here in the DC
area was over 400 bucks. Anyone ever tried LEXAN as a replaement??
IF so what price or a better price for glass??
Marshel OShields

As much as I hate the throw-away mentality, unless this was some high-end
table, I'd be pricing a new table. If I was set on keeping the table, I'd
start looking at non-clear replacements, like 2 half-circles of
solid-surface shower surround material. I highly doubt Lexan will be any
cheaper than glass, since the cheaper plastics are already higer than glass.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:53:39 -0700, WalkingMan
wrote:

Need replacement glass for 54 (53.5) inch round patio table,
preferably with a hole in the center. Price quoted here in the DC
area was over 400 bucks. Anyone ever tried LEXAN as a replaement??
IF so what price or a better price for glass??
Marshel OShields

(That $400 quote is likely tempered glass)

Have you considered a mosaic tile top? Cheaper!

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WalkingMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Need replacement glass for 54 (53.5) inch round patio table,
preferably with a hole in the center. Price quoted here in the DC
area was over 400 bucks. Anyone ever tried LEXAN as a replaement??
IF so what price or a better price for glass??
Marshel OShields

I don't think polycarbonate is going to be a good long term solution as it
may scratch.

You can buy cheaper here, but the shipping cost brings it back up close to
your price
http://www.glasstopsdirect.com/glass-round-54.php

http://www.glassical.com/54circles.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 01:24:42 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

"WalkingMan" wrote in message
roups.com...
Need replacement glass for 54 (53.5) inch round patio table,
preferably with a hole in the center. Price quoted here in the DC
area was over 400 bucks. Anyone ever tried LEXAN as a replaement??
IF so what price or a better price for glass??
Marshel OShields

As much as I hate the throw-away mentality, unless this was some high-end
table, I'd be pricing a new table. If I was set on keeping the table, I'd

mAYBE JUST keep the table, the new glass if you can find the same
size, and give away the new table to someone who will settle for it
not having a glass top. Maybe make a new top for the new table and
give it all to someone.

start looking at non-clear replacements, like 2 half-circles of
solid-surface shower surround material. I highly doubt Lexan will be any
cheaper than glass, since the cheaper plastics are already higer than glass.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

"WalkingMan" wrote

Need replacement glass for 54 (53.5) inch round patio table,
preferably with a hole in the center. Price quoted here in the DC
area was over 400 bucks.

As much as I hate the throw-away mentality, unless this was some high-end
table, I'd be pricing a new table.

That is what I wound up doing. I had a glass patio table with
an umbrella. One day I heard this huge shattering noise and when
I investigated, the wind had rocked the umbrella and the stress had
done the damage. I got a similar quote for new glass. But here is the
thing ... the table wasn't expensive, and when I looked at glass tables to
replace it, I realized that better tables were designed to hold the umbrella
more stable. Replacing the glass in the cheaper table would have been a
waste of money.

So, if you do replace the table, and surely you can get one for about
$400 this time of the year, check the contsruction to make sure you
don't have a repeat.

Of course, that wasn't the original question, I don't know anything about
plastic replacements.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 9:55 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"WalkingMan" wrote in message

oups.com...

Need replacement glass for 54 (53.5) inch round patio table,
preferably with a hole in the center. Price quoted here in the DC
area was over 400 bucks. Anyone ever tried LEXAN as a replaement??
IF so what price or a better price for glass??
Marshel OShields

I don't think polycarbonate is going to be a good long term solution as it
may scratch.

You can buy cheaper here, but the shipping cost brings it back up close to
your pricehttp://www.glasstopsdirect.com/glass-round-54.php

http://www.glassical.com/54circles.htm

You're the MAN, Edwin! That place isn't too far from me, and I'm in
the market for a couple of patio tables. I owe you a keg of beer,
buddy! Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:43:56 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

Of course, that wasn't the original question, I don't know anything about
plastic replacements.

nancy

When the OP said LEXAN I saw dollar signs.

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message

http://www.glassical.com/54circles.htm

You're the MAN, Edwin! That place isn't too far from me, and I'm in
the market for a couple of patio tables. I owe you a keg of beer,
buddy! Thanks!

You're welcome. Just send the keg as an email attachment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 9:55?pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"WalkingMan" wrote in message

oups.com...

Need replacement glass for 54 (53.5) inch round patio table,
preferably with a hole in the center. Price quoted here in the DC
area was over 400 bucks. Anyone ever tried LEXAN as a replaement??
IF so what price or a better price for glass??
Marshel OShields

I don't think polycarbonate is going to be a good long term solution as it
may scratch.

You can buy cheaper here, but the shipping cost brings it back up close to
your pricehttp://www.glasstopsdirect.com/glass-round-54.php

http://www.glassical.com/54circles.htm

Thanks to all who responded. I may try the tile idea, more likely the
"trash" suggestions.
Marshel

Posted to alt.home.repair

betsyb wrote:

If it was a Martha Stewart product there is an ongoing dispute with K Mart
about replacing the shattering tops on her tables. You might inquire if it
was.

Hi,
I am in Calgary Alberta. I had two of those glass tops shattered as they
stands. One on the porch, one on a shaded patio. Regardless that made in
China stuff is dangerous IMO. No more of those tables!