Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to repair cut in vinyl floor

I have a clean cut in a vinyl floor that I would like to repair. The vinyl
was not glued down.

The only suggestions I have found oon the web suggest cutting out and
replacing the damaged area. If I do that I will have 4 cuts (the sides of
the patch" rather than one. I am hoping there is a way to put an adhesive
under the floor around the slit and then press the vinyl down. Some glue
may then come up and have to be cleaned off.

What kind of glue should I use. Can it be cleaned after it is cured (after
I take off the weight that is pressing the floor down)? What should be
used to clean off the glue?

I have read about a seam sealer - should I use some?

Am I on the wrong track altogether?

Many thanks for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your reply.

What I see happening is that when the vinyl is pressed down some glue will
come up through the crack and get on top of the vinyl and will need to be
cleaned off. Some cleanet that will not damage the vinyl is needed.

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:21:50 -0700, Joe wrote:

Standard solvent cement for PVC plumbing will work. Masking tape to
confine the solvent and keep it off the surface should be considered.
As for means of applying, a hypodermic needle, aerosol spritzer tube,
whatever. HTH

On Jul 21, 9:29 am, wrote:
I have a clean cut in a vinyl floor that I would like to repair. The vinyl
was not glued down.

The only suggestions I have found oon the web suggest cutting out and
replacing the damaged area. If I do that I will have 4 cuts (the sides of
the patch" rather than one. I am hoping there is a way to put an adhesive
under the floor around the slit and then press the vinyl down. Some glue
may then come up and have to be cleaned off.

What kind of glue should I use. Can it be cleaned after it is cured (after
I take off the weight that is pressing the floor down)? What should be
used to clean off the glue?

I have read about a seam sealer - should I use some?

Am I on the wrong track altogether?

Many thanks for any help.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote on 21 Jul 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

I have a clean cut in a vinyl floor that I would like to repair. The
vinyl was not glued down.

The only suggestions I have found oon the web suggest cutting out and
replacing the damaged area. If I do that I will have 4 cuts (the
sides of the patch" rather than one. I am hoping there is a way to
put an adhesive under the floor around the slit and then press the
vinyl down. Some glue may then come up and have to be cleaned off.

What kind of glue should I use. Can it be cleaned after it is cured
(after I take off the weight that is pressing the floor down)? What
should be used to clean off the glue?

I have read about a seam sealer - should I use some?

Am I on the wrong track altogether?

Many thanks for any help.

If your cut is short, you don't need to put glue underneath. If it's
long, then at your hardware store, you'll find a bucket of adhesive made
to hold down resilient flooring. Push a little under both sides of the
cut with a putty knife, then roll the floor to distribute it. The
container will tell you how to clean up the glue that oozes out. It's
usually soap and water or paint thinner.

Whether your cut is short or long, you need to seal it so it doesn't
come loose again. Get a seam kit from the hardware store. The
instructions will explain exactly what to do. The last one I bought
included some cleaner, felt pads to rub with, and two bottles of
chemicals that are mixed to to make an active sealer. The stuff melts
the vinyl it touches, allows the edges to flow together, and hardens. If
you do it carefully, it won't be obvious.

Let us know how it goes.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

how to take off vinyl floor [email protected] Home Repair 4 June 20th 06 02:32 PM
Old vinyl floor [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 19th 06 09:58 PM
vinyl floor ruined [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 16th 06 05:58 PM
Vinyl Floor and Standing Shower, damaged floor edge Mansour Home Repair 1 February 20th 06 06:22 AM
Vinyl floor Alan UK diy 1 August 3rd 04 08:39 AM