Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gfci how many or should I just go with a electrical box version

ok I have 1 gfci in each bathroom and 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the
masterbedroom and 1 in the laundry room.

is this a safe setup or should I go for more of a electrical gfci
electrical breaker for better protection.

also how do you wire 2 gfci in order?

I tried to hook 2 inline for the kitchen countertop recptales near the
sink but only 1 would work and the other wouldn't even though when I
put replace the second gfci with a standard wall plug it works.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If your intention is to do what Nec requires for new installations: All
counter outlets in the kitchen, all bathroom outlets, all outlets outside,
all outlets in unfinished parts of basements, and all wall outlets in
garage, should be GFCI protected

wrote in message
ups.com...
ok I have 1 gfci in each bathroom and 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the
masterbedroom and 1 in the laundry room.

is this a safe setup or should I go for more of a electrical gfci
electrical breaker for better protection.

also how do you wire 2 gfci in order?

I tried to hook 2 inline for the kitchen countertop recptales near the
sink but only 1 would work and the other wouldn't even though when I
put replace the second gfci with a standard wall plug it works.
.
the house standard wiring white,black ground wiring. and the whole has
is grounded as i have checked each recptacle.

thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 7:29 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
If your intention is to do what Nec requires for new installations: All
counter outlets in the kitchen, all bathroom outlets, all outlets outside,
all outlets in unfinished parts of basements, and all wall outlets in
garage, should be GFCI protected

wrote in message

ups.com...

ok I have 1 gfci in each bathroom and 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the
masterbedroom and 1 in the laundry room.

is this a safe setup or should I go for more of a electrical gfci
electrical breaker for better protection.

also how do you wire 2 gfci in order?

I tried to hook 2 inline for the kitchen countertop recptales near the
sink but only 1 would work and the other wouldn't even though when I
put replace the second gfci with a standard wall plug it works.
.
the house standard wiring white,black ground wiring. and the whole has
is grounded as i have checked each recptacle.

thanks in advance.

thanks for the info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
ok I have 1 gfci in each bathroom and 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the
masterbedroom and 1 in the laundry room.

is this a safe setup or should I go for more of a electrical gfci
electrical breaker for better protection.

also how do you wire 2 gfci in order?

You don't... All the outlets past that one are protected.

I tried to hook 2 inline for the kitchen countertop recptales near the
sink but only 1 would work and the other wouldn't even though when I
put replace the second gfci with a standard wall plug it works.

Methinks you might want to consult a professional.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 02:49:18 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

also how do you wire 2 gfci in order?

You don't... All the outlets past that one are protected.

I tried to hook 2 inline for the kitchen countertop recptales near the
sink but only 1 would work and the other wouldn't even though when I
put replace the second gfci with a standard wall plug it works.

Methinks you might want to consult a professional.

Maybe. Another one who thinks an outlet is a plug.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 6:56 pm, wrote:
ok I have 1 gfci in each bathroom and 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the
masterbedroom and 1 in the laundry room.

is this a safe setup or should I go for more of a electrical gfci
electrical breaker for better protection.

I think both are safe solutions. So which ever you feel comfortable
with.

also how do you wire 2 gfci in order?

I tried to hook 2 inline for the kitchen countertop recptales near the
sink but only 1 would work and the other wouldn't even though when I
put replace the second gfci with a standard wall plug it works.

In general you do not need to hook two GFCI's together with one
downstream of the other. In effect you will have redundant protection.
Note that only one GFCI will trip when a fault condition occurs. Which
one will depend on the GFCI sensitivity. i.e. pretty much 50-50
probability which one will trip.

.
the house standard wiring white,black ground wiring. and the whole has
is grounded as i have checked each recptacle.

thanks in advance.

The advantage of the breaker way is that everything on the circuit is
protected. Somethimes you do not want this. e.g. a fridge. Fridges
should be not on GFCI circuits according to NEC code. GFCI receptacles
allows you to have seperate stops for each appliance. I.E. if one
thing trips a GFCI, the other appliances on othre GFCI's will remain
powered up.

Note that you can use a receptacle GFCI to protect everything on a
circuit. You have to wire the GFCI as the First one on that circuit.
All other receptacles, which can be plain vanilla receptacles (non-
GFCIs) which are downstream of that are protected.

You can google for GFCI info on the web. One site which takes a while
to go through is the Leviton WebSite www.leviton.com. They have an ez-
learn step by step on-line lecture guide on GFCI's. It takes a while
to sign up etc. and sit through the demo. But I found it quite good.

One final tip is if you have not already got one, maybe you should
also consider buying a Volt Tic.

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fl...United States

This senses when wires are live. It saved me a few times. About $US
20. Other maufacturers also make these, perhaps cheaper in the $US 15
range.

warmest regards, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hobbes wrote:
On Jul 19, 6:56 pm, wrote:
[...]

The NEC does not say refrigeration shouldn't be on GFCIs. It does say
that in commercial kitchens plug-in refrigerators and freezers MUST be
on GFCIs. A refrigerator should not trip a GFCI (but I would rather not
put my refrigerator on one).

GFCI receptacles
allows you to have seperate stops for each appliance. I.E. if one
thing trips a GFCI, the other appliances on othre GFCI's will remain
powered up.

Note that you can use a receptacle GFCI to protect everything on a
circuit. You have to wire the GFCI as the First one on that circuit.
All other receptacles, which can be plain vanilla receptacles (non-
GFCIs) which are downstream of that are protected.

A single GFCI receptacle is a lot cheaper than a GFCI breaker.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:31:43 -0500, bud--
wrote:

A single GFCI receptacle is a lot cheaper than a GFCI breaker.

I wonder why that is.

bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A single GFCI receptacle is a lot cheaper than a GFCI breaker.

I wonder why that is.

Some guesses-
A GFCI breaker also includes overcurrent protection.

A GFCI breaker is (normally) only available from the panel manufacturer
- no competition. (There is competition between panels, but GFCI cost is
one of a number of comparison factors.) GFCI receptacles are available
from a wide variety of competing sources.

GFCI receptacles are produced in very large numbers.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove this)
@optonline.net says...
If your intention is to do what Nec requires for new installations: All
counter outlets in the kitchen, all bathroom outlets, all outlets outside,
all outlets in unfinished parts of basements, and all wall outlets in
garage, should be GFCI protected

GFCI's aren't required on refrigerators, freezers, or other devices
where accidental trips may cause damage.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

krw wrote:
In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove this)
@optonline.net says...
If your intention is to do what Nec requires for new installations: All
counter outlets in the kitchen, all bathroom outlets, all outlets outside,
all outlets in unfinished parts of basements, and all wall outlets in
garage, should be GFCI protected

GFCI's aren't required on refrigerators, freezers, or other devices
where accidental trips may cause damage.

The NEC has no such exemption. *Some* receptacles in garages and
unfinished basements are exempted from GFCI requirements depending on
*where* they are located. Other receptacles, including kitchen counter,
must be GFCI protected whether refrigeration is plugged in or not. And
in a commercial kitchen, receptacles must be GFCI protected including
those used by refrigerators and freezers.

Refrigerators/freezers should not trip a GFCI.

--
bud--