Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bond PVC to common plastic

I've got an small odd-ball application where I've gotta bond
a length of 3" sewer PVC to a little round plastic food container.

PVC cement? Epoxy? Other??

Cheers,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote in
:

I've got an small odd-ball application where I've gotta bond
a length of 3" sewer PVC to a little round plastic food container.

PVC cement? Epoxy? Other??

Cheers,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller

No sacrificial pieces to try it on?

I believe the PVC cement works on like sched 40 pipe so well it because
it fuses/melts it. Airplane glue on models the same from what I remember
(long as they held till the 4th of July when I would blow them all up).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

I've got an small odd-ball application where I've gotta bond
a length of 3" sewer PVC to a little round plastic food container.

PVC cement? Epoxy? Other??

I'd try epoxy first, but it depends on the food container. Many are made
from polyethylene based material and nothing sticks to them.
Experimentation is in order.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man writes:

PVC cement? Epoxy? Other

Improvise a bulkhead fitting for a mechanical seal instead of glue:

http://www.truetex.com/bulkhead.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:22:12 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Puddin' Man writes:

PVC cement? Epoxy? Other

Improvise a bulkhead fitting for a mechanical seal instead of glue:

http://www.truetex.com/bulkhead.htm

Smacking myself in the head----- I'm not the OP, but I've had a
pool strainer sitting on my bench for several months while I pondered
how to replace the inlet pipe. I've tried PVC cement with no joy.
This will do it!

Thanks, Richard, this is the perfect solution.

Jim
[I also think it will be used for the outlet on my redneck mud-jacking
pump. Now to come up with a 3/4-1" flexible hose that will take
50-60 pounds of pressure.. . . ]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
I've got an small odd-ball application where I've gotta bond
a length of 3" sewer PVC to a little round plastic food container.

PVC cement? Epoxy? Other??

You need to know the plastic composition of the food container. Off
hand, if polystyrene, PVC cement might work. PET - epoxy might work.
PE - nothing common.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it isn't a water-tight joint, then polyurethane glue will work just
fine. I doubt that would make a plumbing type connection though.
I second the motion of getting another food container and seeing if
plain old plumbing PVC stuff works on it.

On Jul 18, 10:42 pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
I've got an small odd-ball application where I've gotta bond
a length of 3" sewer PVC to a little round plastic food container.

PVC cement? Epoxy? Other??

Cheers,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
I've got an small odd-ball application where I've gotta bond
a length of 3" sewer PVC to a little round plastic food container.

PVC cement? Epoxy? Other??

If it came down the sewer, it's probably not worth saving no matter how
yummy it looks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for most responses.

I tested a tiny pvc cement bond. Didn't look too solid.

I ran all over town looking for a slip-on cap for this 3"
pvc that hasn't been made for years. Finally found one.
Voila!

Cheers,
Puddin'

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:42:09 GMT, Puddin' Man wrote:

I've got an small odd-ball application where I've gotta bond
a length of 3" sewer PVC to a little round plastic food container.

PVC cement? Epoxy? Other??

Cheers,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 10:33?am, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Puddin' Man wrote:
I've got an small odd-ball application where I've gotta bond
a length of 3" sewer PVC to a little round plastic food container.

PVC cement? Epoxy? Other??

You need to know the plastic composition of the food container. Off
hand, if polystyrene, PVC cement might work. PET - epoxy might work.
PE - nothing common.

Frank

might be better to use a fernco ftting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 07:42:01 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[I also think it will be used for the outlet on my redneck mud-jacking
pump. Now to come up with a 3/4-1" flexible hose that will take
50-60 pounds of pressure.. . . ]

50-60psi is trivial...

Apex NeverKink Commerical Duty 3/4" self-straightening hose

http://www.amazon.com/Apex-NeverKink...040317&sr=1-19

I've purchased this locally at Home Depot in 75ft lengths.

Watch out... Some other varieties look just about the same, but the
inside of the fittings was considerably smaller. Note that this hose
also comes in 5/8" (often mixed on the rack) so watch for the 3/4".

I'm still watching for a deal on 200psi, 1" air hose... But in the
meantime I'm using this with some brass adapters on the ends.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen? http://pcscreenwatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Puddin' Man, blue bird wrote:
Try Permatex Plastic Weld

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ic-235219-.htm

GÜRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 11th 07 01:18 PM
GÜRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Home Ownership 0 July 11th 07 11:47 AM
corner bond Paul Andrews UK diy 3 July 31st 05 11:30 PM
Bond all grounds together? Minnie Bannister Home Repair 23 March 16th 04 06:31 PM