Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What kind of air conditioner?

I'm curious to know the specifications of my central air conditioner -
size, efficiency, etc. The labels on the condenser unit have all
faded beyond recognition except for the brand label - "RUUD High
Efficiency". The furnace is a 1969 Chrysler Airtemp 150k BTU forced
air oil burner and for all I know this could be the original air
conditioner.

It seems to work fine but knowing more about it would help in
determining when to replace it. Any thoughts how I might figure that
out?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm curious to know the specifications of my central air conditioner -
size, efficiency, etc. The labels on the condenser unit have all
faded beyond recognition except for the brand label - "RUUD High
Efficiency". The furnace is a 1969 Chrysler Airtemp 150k BTU forced
air oil burner and for all I know this could be the original air
conditioner.

It seems to work fine but knowing more about it would help in
determining when to replace it. Any thoughts how I might figure that
out?

Thanks!

Ask the salesman when they come to give you a quote for a new furnace!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 1:06 pm, Meat Plow wrote:

Replace it when it breaks.

Damn, I hadn't thought of that. I figured when it quit I'd just put
on some heavy boots and kick it until it started up again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

Replace it when it breaks.

Damn, I hadn't thought of that. I figured when it quit I'd just put
on some heavy boots and kick it until it started up again.

==
Good plan. Kicking it is usually always cheaper than replacing something.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Meat Plow wrote:
Replace it when it breaks.

Damn, I hadn't thought of that. I figured when it quit I'd just put
on some heavy boots and kick it until it started up again.

==
Good plan. Kicking it is usually always cheaper than replacing something.

Not necessarily...

Jack Daniels is said to have died of "blood poisoning" after kicking the
safe in his office during a fit of pique and breaking his big toe...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm curious to know the specifications of my central air conditioner -
size, efficiency, etc. The labels on the condenser unit have all
faded beyond recognition except for the brand label - "RUUD High
Efficiency". The furnace is a 1969 Chrysler Airtemp 150k BTU forced
air oil burner and for all I know this could be the original air
conditioner.

It seems to work fine but knowing more about it would help in
determining when to replace it. Any thoughts how I might figure that
out?

If it is working to your satisfaction, wait until it fails. If you suspect
that it is very inefficient and beyond its life expectancy, then you might
replace it ... but do the arithmetic on a cash outlay now versus the yearly
savings for a high-efficiency unit. It often takes many years to get even
and sometimes one cannot get even. If you are worried about our planet,
then that puts a different spin on your question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 11:47 am, The Reverend Natural Light
wrote:
I'm curious to know the specifications of my central air conditioner -
size, efficiency, etc. The labels on the condenser unit have all
faded beyond recognition except for the brand label - "RUUD High
Efficiency". The furnace is a 1969 Chrysler Airtemp 150k BTU forced
air oil burner and for all I know this could be the original air
conditioner.

It seems to work fine but knowing more about it would help in
determining when to replace it. Any thoughts how I might figure that
out?

Thanks!

Here's the rule (IMHO) - If it says "High Efficiency" then it is old
and inefficient. Look for a label at the coil, where the refrigerant
lines go into the plenum of the furnace. My AC guy just replaced a
unit for me that was installed in 1972! We could tell by the serial
number on the coil.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm curious to know the specifications of my central air conditioner -
size, efficiency, etc. The labels on the condenser unit have all
faded beyond recognition except for the brand label - "RUUD High
Efficiency". The furnace is a 1969 Chrysler Airtemp 150k BTU forced
air "oil burner" and for all I know this could be the original air
conditioner.

It seems to work fine but knowing more about it would help in
determining when to replace it. Any thoughts how I might figure that
out? Thanks!

Here's the rule (IMHO) - If it says "High Efficiency" then it is old
and inefficient. Look for a label at the coil, where the refrigerant
lines go into the plenum of the furnace. My AC guy just replaced a
unit for me that was installed in 1972! We could tell by the serial
number on the coil. JK

An experienced Tech can take the airflow CFM and the other test checks
on this page and tell you fairly close how many BTUH it is putting out.
It won't be the same as the tests they do at specific dry bulb temps &
conditioned space wet bulb temp, but should put you in the ballpark
providing it is delivering close to its rated BTUH; that of course is
doubtful. The condenser air temp splits are NOT on that page, the links
are there.
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html

Yo can check the evaporator numbers but it might be oversized on a high
efficiency unit, which is probably a 10-SEER.
If you have it apart the flow rator number might be a good clue, if it
is properly matched, ha.
How is the Airflow on that Chrysler Airtemp Oil Furnace? It may have a
different design than some of the Thermo Pride's.
- udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
(My Airconditioning Links, Hunting Shooting, Angus Cattle, etc.)

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...ju stice.html

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

http://www.antiwar.com/ ***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!