Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck Light Wiring Question

Hello:

Will be installing a halogen flood light (the rectangular kind with the
linear bulb) over my Deck.

The light has a nice flange on its shell (metal) that can go right against
the siding.

But, I understand that this is not allowed by code, and there should be a
metal
box, I think they are called Bell Boxes, between the light's flange and the
siding.

a. Is this "really" necessary ?

b. If it is, is it necessary to use one of those *threaded NM wire clamp
pieces that would screw into the back of the box where it lays against the
siding, or can I just use a bushing (possibly plastic, possibly metal) to
cover up the threads so they couldn't cut the wire and no wire clamping ?

It would probably work, but it sure would be a funny way to do it.
Would the NM clamp piece be inside the box, or on the outside of the box and
therefore pushed into the siding's wire hole ?

*not really sure what the correct term for this piece is. I'm thinking of
the piece that is essentially a bushing, with one side threaded (will screw
into a metal box), and the other end has a thing metal clamp with two screws
for securing the NM wire

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

Will be installing a halogen flood light (the rectangular kind with the
linear bulb) over my Deck.

The light has a nice flange on its shell (metal) that can go right against
the siding.

But, I understand that this is not allowed by code, and there should be a
metal
box, I think they are called Bell Boxes, between the light's flange and

the
siding.

a. Is this "really" necessary ?

Yes, unless the fixture has a built-in compartment for making splices, a
junction box must be used. The alternative is to cut a hole in the siding
for a recessed box and have the weatherproof cover with the fixture mount on
that. Check the instructions that came with the fixture.

b. If it is, is it necessary to use one of those *threaded NM wire clamp
pieces that would screw into the back of the box where it lays against the
siding, or can I just use a bushing (possibly plastic, possibly metal) to
cover up the threads so they couldn't cut the wire and no wire clamping ?

You may be able to use a plastic "Button" Romex connector which is similar
to a bushing, but prevents the cable from being pulled out of the box.

It would probably work, but it sure would be a funny way to do it.
Would the NM clamp piece be inside the box, or on the outside of the box

and
therefore pushed into the siding's wire hole ?

*not really sure what the correct term for this piece is. I'm thinking of
the piece that is essentially a bushing, with one side threaded (will

screw
into a metal box), and the other end has a thing metal clamp with two

screws
for securing the NM wire

Two screw Romex connector. Don't install it so the the clamp part is inside
the box. If you want to make it smaller to fit in a drilled hole better you
can cut the clamp screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default For John Grabowski From OP: Deck Light Wiring Question

Hi John:

Thanks for help and info.

Just want to be sure I have this right:

IF there is plenty of room in the lamp base for splices and wire nuts, then
it is O.K.
NOT to use a Bell junction box and just mount the lamp's base directly
against the siding ?

Is this right ?

Regards,
Bob

-----------------------
"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hi John:

Thanks for help and info.

Just want to be sure I have this right:

IF there is plenty of room in the lamp base for splices and wire nuts,

then
it is O.K.
NOT to use a Bell junction box and just mount the lamp's base directly
against the siding ?

Is this right ?

Yes as long as it is approved by the manufacturer. Do you have a link to
the light so that I can take a look?

Regards,
Bob

-----------------------
"John Grabowski" wrote in message

. ..

?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi John,

Am all set now; found a nice box that will solve all problems, and guess I
will just use that.
Don't have any link to light; guess it's an off-brand, made heaven knows
where.

Again, thnks for all the help and your time; really appreciate it very much.

Regards,
Bob

----------------------

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hi John:

Thanks for help and info.

Just want to be sure I have this right:

IF there is plenty of room in the lamp base for splices and wire nuts,

then
it is O.K.
NOT to use a Bell junction box and just mount the lamp's base directly
against the siding ?

Is this right ?

Yes as long as it is approved by the manufacturer. Do you have a link to
the light so that I can take a look?

Regards,
Bob

"John Grabowski" wrote in message