Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
Doc Doc is offline

Default Good resource to get the full, straight story on refrigerators, efficiency, etc.

Looking to replace my current Hotpoint refrigerator if I can't easily
do a DIY repair - i.e. if it isn't just a matter of replacing an
internal fan - freezer works fine, refrigerator section having
problems. Or maybe even if I can repair it. I'm not in immediate
desperation, I'm using an old shorty "student" model that will tide me
over but will want to get the big one fixed or replaced in the near
future.

I've read assertions that "new refrigerators are more efficient".
Looking through the archives I see some debate as to whether this is
true.

How are they more efficient? How much more efficient? With a new 18
cu. ft. no-frills top-freezer Hotpoint -vs- a 1988 no-frills top-
freezer Hotpoint how much of a difference am I likely to see in the
monthly electric bill? For example, if I were to find the problem with
my old one is relatively easy to remedy and manage to squeeze a few
more years of service out of it, how much less would I be spending
over those same years on a newer model if in fact it's even true? I
see these tags inside the floor models with a measure of "cost per
year" and comparative energy consumption, but have no idea if they're
remotely realistic, or are more like the old EPA gas-mileage ratings
that in no way reflected reality.

Where do you find the straight story on dependability? Is Consumer
Reports really the gospel?How does anyone do a meaningful reliability
test on an item with so many models and where it might take years to
prove itself a "lemon" under real-world daily use. I wonder if brand
name is a reliable indicator since manufacturing/corporate issues can
change over time, so a brand that was possibly once regarded as great
becomes crap. Further, I don't see much concensus regarding what
brands are good/bad. I'm more interested in rock-solid dependability
and longevity than a lot of features. I've never even had an ice-
maker. Still using plastic ice-cube trays.

How would you find out the nitty-gritty on issues like where the
compressor for various models come from and what makes it great or
crap?

What's a good resource to learn DIY refrigerator diagnosis and
repair?

Thanks.