Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electircal Question

I just got a new gazabo and I want to install an electic fan in it. IT came
prewired with a plug only on the inside. It was wired with 12/2 to the
plug. I want to have a two hot leads at the fax one for the fan and one for
the light so I can control them independantly. I purchased some 12/3 to be
able to have the 2 hot leads at the fan/light but I am a little confused as
to how to wire this all up.

Lets consider that the wires are labeled as follows:

Feed from circuit panel box to wall mount box
B1
W1

Wire running from ceiling fan box to wall mount box
B2
W2
R2

Fan control switch for wall mount box
Y3 - lead for fan
B3 - common hot
R3 - lead for light

I have two basic questions? How do I get power to the r2 and r3 connections
and what does the y3 wire connect to? I assume the two white wires and the
theee black wires end up being connected together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You want to run your 12/2 feed into a double switch box. You run your 12/3
from the switchbox to the ceiling fan support box. In the switchbox, you
connect the two white (neutral) wires together. You connect the black feed
wire to one terminal of each switch. To the second terminal of one switch
you connect the black wire to the fan box, and to the second terminal of the
second switch you connect the red wire to the fan box. When you hang the fan
you will have three wires plus ground. Just be sure to connect the neutral
to the white. The other two wires can be transposed

"Lanman" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 14:24:34 -0400, "Lanman" wrote:

[...]

Hook B1 to B3
Hook W1 to W2
Hook Y3 to B2
Hook R2 to R3

http://i18.tinypic.com/4vs20y8.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 4:32 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Excuse the slight rewording.
You run your 12/2 feed into a double wall mounted switch box.
You run your 12/3 from the switchbox to the ceiling fan/light support box.
In the switchbox, you connect the two white (neutral) wires together. With a wire nut.
You connect the black (live) feed wire to one terminal of BOTH SWITCHES.
To the second terminal of one switch you connect the black wire to the fan/light box.
To the second terminal of the second switch you connect the red wire to the fan/light box
When you hang the fan you will have three wires plus ground.
Neutral (unswitched*) = white. For both fan and light.
Switched live 1 for the fan = Red.
Switched live f2 for light = Black.
Or you can transpose the red and black depending which switch you want to turn on the light.
Connect grounds to metal boxes and to frame of fan etc.

* in regular hous wiring, North America, neutrals are not switched.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

[...]

and what does the y3 wire connect to? I assume the two white wires nd the
theee black wires end up being connected together.

WRT, black wires, No.

How would you turn off the fan, or the light, not sure which, if it
was connected that way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terru.

Your short and sweet directions worked wonderfully. Thanks for the help,
the fan and light work great.

Greg