Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is this part call?

I need a part that will act as a spacer but it needs to be threaded on the
inside to take a 1/4" bolt on both ends. It needs to be about 1 5/8 in
length (no need to be exact).

I searched in Lowes and HD and couldn't find a match. The have threaded
rods in varying lengths and sizes but they don't have the "female" version
of this. I tried to search online but cannot find it since I don't know
what it's call.

Application - I need to attach a custom mail box to a metal door (hollow in
middle about 1 5/8 space). There are 1/4" bolts from inside and outside (I
don't want to use nuts on one side), I found some hexagonal shaped nut
couplers but those are too big diameter wise, I am trying to find some that
will not require me to drill a hole bigger than the head of the bolts
themselves. I remember seeing these parts used in door locks, ceiling fan
rod extensions etc...

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

MiamiCuse wrote:
I need a part that will act as a spacer but it needs to be threaded on the
inside to take a 1/4" bolt on both ends. ...

That would be a coupling nut...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

www.google.com is your friend...

http://www.google.com/products?q=1/4...&oi=froogle&ct
=title

http://www.metalgrip.com/search.html...e=RSA50&ite m
_number=502014RSA

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

[...]

Oddly enough, those things are called threaded spacers or threaded
standoffs.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:46:04 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I need a part that will act as a spacer but it needs to be threaded on the
inside to take a 1/4" bolt on both ends. It needs to be about 1 5/8 in
length (no need to be exact).

Why not make the bolts bigger and use a shorter coupling nut, like a
regular nut?

I searched in Lowes and HD and couldn't find a match. The have threaded
rods in varying lengths and sizes but they don't have the "female" version
of this. I tried to search online but cannot find it since I don't know
what it's call.

Application - I need to attach a custom mail box to a metal door (hollow

in
middle about 1 5/8 space). There are 1/4" bolts from inside and outside

(I
don't want to use nuts on one side), I found some hexagonal shaped nut
couplers but those are too big diameter wise, I am trying to find some

Ugh. But those have too large a diameter. Or, but their diameter is
too big.

Posted to alt.home.repair

no sweat for a local small machine shop

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I need a part that will act as a spacer but it needs to be threaded on the
inside to take a 1/4" bolt on both ends. It needs to be about 1 5/8 in
length (no need to be exact).

I missed the original post, so this may be already answered

In some industries the item is called a "stand-off"

Take a look at http://www.fascomp.com/html/fsh1-2.html

A really good local hardware store (not HD or Lowes) might carry them.

or an electronics supply house
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I need a part that will act as a spacer but it needs to be threaded on the
inside to take a 1/4" bolt on both ends. It needs to be about 1 5/8 in
length (no need to be exact).

It's called a coupling nut.

I searched in Lowes and HD and couldn't find a match.

Look harder. :-) Or try Ace Hardware.

The have threaded
rods in varying lengths and sizes but they don't have the "female" version
of this.

Yes, they do, both Lowes and HD. You just haven't found them yet -- which is
kinda surprising, since they keep them on the same rack where they have the
threaded rod.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I need a part that will act as a spacer but it needs to be threaded on the
inside to take a 1/4" bolt on both ends. It needs to be about 1 5/8 in
length (no need to be exact).

It's called a coupling nut.

I searched in Lowes and HD and couldn't find a match.

Look harder. :-) Or try Ace Hardware.

The have threaded
rods in varying lengths and sizes but they don't have the "female" version
of this.

Yes, they do, both Lowes and HD. You just haven't found them yet -- which is
kinda surprising, since they keep them on the same rack where they have the
threaded rod.

Was at Lowe's the other day for just this purpose. The coupling nuts were
with the screws, nuts and bolts at the normal display; the threaded rod
was a few aisles over. They didn't have the 8-32 coupling nuts I wanted,
so I went to Sears Hardware. Couldn't find coupling nuts, but did find
threaded aluminum spacers which were good enough. They didn't have the
threaded rod, but by the threaded rod I finally found the coupling nuts,
and they didn't have the size I needed. So back to Lowe's with the
spacers in hand to buy the threaded rod.

The spacers were cylindrical sleeves with threaded insides. The coupling
nuts were hexagonal in cross section.

--
Postulate a group whose intent is to destroy the United States from within
via anarchy and bankruptcy. The actions of the United States Congress are