Bob Itnyre

Default What do you call this part?

I acquired an old South Bend lathe. Serial number 51009.
It needs some work. One of the the things it needs are the little
capped oilers. They are about a quarter inch in diameter and maybe
three eighths high. They have a spring loaded cap on them that you
lift up, drop some oil in and the cap closes and keeps dirt out.

What is this item called?

Where can you get one, or more? Actually there are probably a lot of
places that sell them, but I need to know what I'm asking for. Can
you imagine being on the phone for instance and describing it to
someone who has no technical background?

Thank you, Bob
larry g

http://www.gitsmfg.com/wick-feed-oil-cups.asp

They are Gits oil cups. Follow the link above.
lg
no neat sig line
"Bob Itnyre" wrote in message
om...
I acquired an old South Bend lathe. Serial number 51009.
It needs some work. One of the the things it needs are the little
capped oilers. They are about a quarter inch in diameter and maybe
three eighths high. They have a spring loaded cap on them that you
lift up, drop some oil in and the cap closes and keeps dirt out.

What is this item called?

Where can you get one, or more? Actually there are probably a lot of
places that sell them, but I need to know what I'm asking for. Can
you imagine being on the phone for instance and describing it to
someone who has no technical background?

Thank you, Bob

Keith Marshall

McMaster-Carr calls them Oil-Hole Covers. Go to http://www.mcmaster.com and
enter "oil cover" without the quotes in the search window and a picture of
them will pop up on the ride side of the window.

A friend is in the process of restoring 3 9-inch South Bends and he needed
those. Since he doesn't have an Internet connection he asked me to find out
what they're called and that's what I found. Unfortunately he couldn't find
them ANYWHERE locally and we have several good hardware stores and
distributors in the area.

He also needed drive screws and McMaster-Carr sells them as well. In case
you haven't had to deal with that yet, they're the things that look like
rivets that hold the placards and labels on the machine. :-)

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"The universe is full of magical things,
patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934
"Bob Itnyre" wrote in message
om...
I acquired an old South Bend lathe. Serial number 51009.
It needs some work. One of the the things it needs are the little
capped oilers. They are about a quarter inch in diameter and maybe
three eighths high. They have a spring loaded cap on them that you
lift up, drop some oil in and the cap closes and keeps dirt out.

What is this item called?

Where can you get one, or more? Actually there are probably a lot of
places that sell them, but I need to know what I'm asking for. Can
you imagine being on the phone for instance and describing it to
someone who has no technical background?

Thank you, Bob

Bob Itnyre

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message om...
..

He also needed drive screws and McMaster-Carr sells them as well. In case
you haven't had to deal with that yet, they're the things that look like
rivets that hold the placards and labels on the machine. :-)

First of all, thank you all for the information. I'll be getting a
few of these things. The Drive screws, I've encountered them before
and if I can get to the back side of the the casting that they are in
I've usually found the hole goes all the way through and I can drive
them out from the other side. This particular lathe has three brass
plates on the gear cover on the left side. One is the South Bend Logo
(A red S) along with a charting of which gears will give you what
feeds. The second plate is a South Bend catalog number and an 8
signifying the swing, and the third is an "Eccles and Davis, Los
Angeles" plate. Last night I scrubbed the cover in the sink with
detergent and then I Brasso'd the plates. Reminded me of being in the
Service. Plates looked pretty nice when I got finished. On the "S"
there is the word "twins". I'm guessing this refers to the O'Brien
twins who founded South Bend. Thank you again for the good
information. Bob
Paul K. Dickman

Bob Itnyre wrote in message
The Drive screws, I've encountered them before
and if I can get to the back side of the the casting that they are in
I've usually found the hole goes all the way through and I can drive
them out from the other side.

In the jewelry and electronics trades they use something called "flush
trimming side cutters". These are like a regular pair of dikes, except that
the blades only have a single bevel instead of a double grind on each jaw.
The backside is almost flat. This lets you cut closer to the surface and
leaves the cut flat.

I use my worn out ones to pull drive screws. Put some masking tape on either
side of the screw, to protect the surface, grab the head with the cutters
parallel to the surface and give the drive screw a half twist counter
clockwise.

Now it is out far enough to grab with pliers.

Works 95% of the time.

Paul K. Dickman

Keith Marshall

You're welcome!

The Drive screws, I've encountered them before

and if I can get to the back side of the the casting that they are in
I've usually found the hole goes all the way through and I can drive
them out from the other side

My friend said he just used a Dremel cutoff wheel to make a slot in the
heads and twisted them out easily with a screwdriver.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"The universe is full of magical things,
patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934
om...

.