Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyway to silicone damp area?

My hot tub has a slow dripping leak. It just needs some silcone to
reseal. I know generally you want the area to be totally dry before
using silicone. Just wondering if there is any type of silicone that
will seal a damp area properly? It would save me from having to
drain. I would think the spa repair people must have a way of sealing
without draining.

Otherwise, perhaps I just wait until the next water change to do the
sealing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
My hot tub has a slow dripping leak. It just needs some silcone to
reseal. I know generally you want the area to be totally dry before
using silicone. Just wondering if there is any type of silicone that
will seal a damp area properly? It would save me from having to
drain. I would think the spa repair people must have a way of sealing
without draining.

Otherwise, perhaps I just wait until the next water change to do the
sealing.

There are patching materials that work when wet, but silicone is not one of
them. Ask at the plumbing supply house. I've seen drain lines patched with
the stuff but I don't know if it will work in your case. Sometimes it is
best to just do the job right and replace the seals or gaskets.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
...Sometimes it is best to just do the job right and replace the seals or gaskets.

Think???

-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might a urethane caulk or glue work? Should be moisture curable so maybe a
bit of dampness wouldn't hurt. Some of the caulks are very flexable. Just
thinking out loud.

wrote in message
oups.com...
My hot tub has a slow dripping leak. It just needs some silcone to
reseal. I know generally you want the area to be totally dry before
using silicone. Just wondering if there is any type of silicone that
will seal a damp area properly? It would save me from having to
drain. I would think the spa repair people must have a way of sealing
without draining.

Otherwise, perhaps I just wait until the next water change to do the
sealing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just wondering if there is any type of silicone that
will seal a damp area properly?

Not silicone.

But if you want exists, I guarantee you will find it at a chandler's.

http://www.boatersworld.com
http://www.westmarine.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

deja wrote,

My hot tub has a slow dripping leak. It
just needs some silicone to reseal. I
know

Go to a Marine ( as in boating) store,
get some 3M below the water line sealant,
adhesive. This is some real sticky stuff
Putting silicone on it is just like ****ing in the wind.

..

Michael Lane

It ain't bragging, if you can back it up___
Dizzy Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Lane writes:

Go to a Marine ( as in boating) store,
get some 3M below the water line sealant,
adhesive. This is some real sticky stuff

3M 5200 is wonderful, but you can't apply it to wet wood.

Damp problem... DIY chemical damp-proof kit? Mike D UK diy 13 June 19th 07 02:59 PM
Damp - "Damp Meters" Ed_Zep UK diy 4 December 21st 06 09:02 AM
Damp treatment for *severe* penetrating damp [email protected] UK diy 17 April 6th 06 12:28 PM
Typical/average floor area to ground area ration for a house? [email protected] UK diy 6 September 22nd 04 03:29 PM
Penetrating damp, silicone or paint? OldScrawn UK diy 4 July 12th 04 10:19 PM