Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tub question - how to tell what kind?

How do I tell what kind of tub I have (steel or cast iron)? It's porcelain
covered, but otherwise I don't have a clue. It is magnetic too, and about
25 years old.

This matters because I need to remove it, and I guess the removal
instructions are different depending on the material. The local handyman
quoted me $450 to remove it & the surrounding tile on the wall, so I'm going
to try it myself. I can see how a sledgehammer works on cast iron but I'd
be surprised if it has much effect on steel. I do have a sawzall.

This is the kind of tub that's sealed up to the walls, not the free-standing
kind with feet.

--

Bob Morrow
There is no such thing as 'too much snow'.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If it's steel, you'll be able to lift it by yourself. If it's cast iron,
you'll need two strong guys or a sledge hammer. If you hit a steel tub with
the sledge, it will dent

"Bob M." wrote in message
. ..
How do I tell what kind of tub I have (steel or cast iron)? It's
porcelain covered, but otherwise I don't have a clue. It is magnetic too,
and about 25 years old.

This matters because I need to remove it, and I guess the removal
instructions are different depending on the material. The local handyman
quoted me $450 to remove it & the surrounding tile on the wall, so I'm
going to try it myself. I can see how a sledgehammer works on cast iron
but I'd be surprised if it has much effect on steel. I do have a
sawzall.

This is the kind of tub that's sealed up to the walls, not the
free-standing kind with feet.

--

Bob Morrow
There is no such thing as 'too much snow'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob M. wrote:

How do I tell what kind of tub I have (steel or cast iron)? It's
porcelain covered, but otherwise I don't have a clue. It is magnetic
too, and about 25 years old.

This matters because I need to remove it, and I guess the removal
instructions are different depending on the material. The local
handyman quoted me $450 to remove it & the surrounding tile on the wall,
so I'm going to try it myself. I can see how a sledgehammer works on
cast iron but I'd be surprised if it has much effect on steel. I do
have a sawzall.

This is the kind of tub that's sealed up to the walls, not the
free-standing kind with feet.

Hi,
Tap, tap. feel/hear the difference?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob M. wrote:

How do I tell what kind of tub I have (steel or cast iron)? It's
porcelain covered, but otherwise I don't have a clue. It is magnetic
too, and about 25 years old.

This matters because I need to remove it, and I guess the removal
instructions are different depending on the material. The local
handyman quoted me $450 to remove it & the surrounding tile on the wall,
so I'm going to try it myself. I can see how a sledgehammer works on
cast iron but I'd be surprised if it has much effect on steel. I do
have a sawzall.

This is the kind of tub that's sealed up to the walls, not the
free-standing kind with feet.

As noted, tap it for feel and sound.

Please have plenty of personnel protection.

Safety goggles for the shrapnel as well as heavy clothing
and gloves. Dust mask probably advised too.
Cover windows and anything else that might get damaged.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:36:28 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

How do I tell what kind of tub I have (steel or cast iron)? It's porcelain
covered, but otherwise I don't have a clue. It is magnetic too, and about
25 years old.

This matters because I need to remove it, and I guess the removal
instructions are different depending on the material. The local handyman
quoted me $450 to remove it & the surrounding tile on the wall, so I'm going
to try it myself. I can see how a sledgehammer works on cast iron but I'd
be surprised if it has much effect on steel. I do have a sawzall.

This is the kind of tub that's sealed up to the walls, not the free-standing
kind with feet.

In this case, you can tell by hitting it with the sledgehammer. If it
breaks, it's cast iron. If it bends, it's steel.

If it doesn't bend and doesn't break, you may have to hit it harder,
or at a more vulnerable spot. Dn't swing toward your own knees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Bob M. wrote:

Hi,
Tap, tap. feel/hear the difference?

No. I can't do a side-by-side comparison.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:36:28 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

How do I tell what kind of tub I have (steel or cast iron)? It's
porcelain
covered, but otherwise I don't have a clue. It is magnetic too, and about
25 years old.

In this case, you can tell by hitting it with the sledgehammer. If it
breaks, it's cast iron. If it bends, it's steel.

Now -that- I can understand. Since I'm going to destroy it anyhow, I guess
whacking it with a sledge won't matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob M." wrote in message
. ..
How do I tell what kind of tub I have (steel or cast iron)? It's
porcelain covered, but otherwise I don't have a clue. It is magnetic too,
and about 25 years old.

This matters because I need to remove it, and I guess the removal
instructions are different depending on the material. The local handyman
quoted me $450 to remove it & the surrounding tile on the wall, so I'm
going to try it myself. I can see how a sledgehammer works on cast iron
but I'd be surprised if it has much effect on steel. I do have a
sawzall.

This is the kind of tub that's sealed up to the walls, not the
free-standing kind with feet.

Get somebody heavy (200 lbs+) to stand in it, in their bare feet, and rock
back and forth. If they can feel it flex, it is steel.
But seriously- rapping on it with a fingernail should make it obvious. A
steel tub will sound about like a car fender. Holding a palm against it is
another way to tell. Steel will quickly warm up and lose the cold feeling-
cast iron, being more massive, takes a lot longer to feel warm.

So why are you ripping it out? Damaged finish, or just the wrong color or
style? Replacing Iron with plastic or steel is a definite move downward- if
I ripped out iron, I'd definitely put back iron, even if I had to go less
fancy elsewhere to make the budget.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob M." wrote:

How do I tell what kind of tub I have (steel or cast iron)? It's porcelain
covered, but otherwise I don't have a clue. It is magnetic too, and about
25 years old.

This matters because I need to remove it, and I guess the removal
instructions are different depending on the material. The local handyman
quoted me $450 to remove it & the surrounding tile on the wall, so I'm going
to try it myself. I can see how a sledgehammer works on cast iron but I'd
be surprised if it has much effect on steel. I do have a sawzall.

This is the kind of tub that's sealed up to the walls, not the free-standing
kind with feet.

How are the removal instructions different? Either way, you invite six
friends over for a beer party. If it turns out to be steel, you've got
four extra supervisors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

So why are you ripping it out? Damaged finish, or just the wrong color or
style? Replacing Iron with plastic or steel is a definite move downward-
if I ripped out iron, I'd definitely put back iron, even if I had to go
less fancy elsewhere to make the budget.

aem sends...

Wrong color. Light brown - yuck. Absolutely agree on steel vs. fiberglass
tubs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

- In this case, you can tell by hitting it with the sledgehammer. If
it
- breaks, it's cast iron. If it bends, it's steel.

- If it doesn't bend and doesn't break, you may have to hit it harder,
- or at a more vulnerable spot. Dn't swing toward your own knees.

Many years ago, I was convinced my tub was cast iron, probably due to
the rough, black coating on the bottom. Knowing that you should crack
a cast iron tub to make it easier to remove, I grabbed my heaviest
sledge, protected various parts of my body, gritted my teeth and swung
as hard as I could. It can be pretty scary when a sledge hammer
bounces back, almost to the position it started from! I'm lucky I
didn't pull something.

Steel tubs come out very easily, and in one, slightly dented piece.