Posted to alt.home.repair
ValveJob ValveJob is offline

Default Tub question - how to tell what kind?

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:36:28 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

How do I tell what kind of tub I have (steel or cast iron)? It's porcelain
covered, but otherwise I don't have a clue. It is magnetic too, and about
25 years old.

This matters because I need to remove it, and I guess the removal
instructions are different depending on the material. The local handyman
quoted me $450 to remove it & the surrounding tile on the wall, so I'm going
to try it myself. I can see how a sledgehammer works on cast iron but I'd
be surprised if it has much effect on steel. I do have a sawzall.

This is the kind of tub that's sealed up to the walls, not the free-standing
kind with feet.

Cutting torch.