Posted to alt.home.repair
Geo Geo is offline

Default Landscape lighting wattage question

I have a two story house that I want to add outdoor lighting to. Can
someone recommend what is appropriate lighting for the exterior of the
house? I presume flood lights are in order, but I don't understand
what wattage I should be looking for. I've seen flood lights at 10W,
20W and 50W, but I just don't know what's the best to use. Thanks in
advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Geo wrote:
I have a two story house that I want to add outdoor lighting to. Can
someone recommend what is appropriate lighting for the exterior of the
house? I presume flood lights are in order, but I don't understand
what wattage I should be looking for. I've seen flood lights at 10W,
20W and 50W, but I just don't know what's the best to use. Thanks in
advance.

What sort of outdoor lighting? Is this decorative, as in around a patio
or along a garden walk? Do you want a security light at your doors,
perhaps on a motion sensor? Do you want to light an area? Floodlights
are really only useful in the latter case. Small floods can be used for
security lighting, but IMNSHO are a bit of overkill.

As a general rule of thumb, the more watts a light is rated at, the more
light it will cast. It will also draw more current and I'm 99.9% certain
the electrical code will require exterior lights to be on their own
circuit(s).

As a sidebar comment, have a look around at your favourite home
hardware/plumbing/electrical store; they usually have a simplified
version of the electrical code, written in layman's language. Well worth
adding to your DIY library.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 9:50 pm, Geo wrote:
I have a two story house that I want to add outdoor lighting to. Can
someone recommend what is appropriate lighting for the exterior of the
house? I presume flood lights are in order, but I don't understand
what wattage I should be looking for. I've seen flood lights at 10W,
20W and 50W, but I just don't know what's the best to use. Thanks in
advance.

buy a portable clamp worklight or two with a reflector. try it
outdoors with various bulbs including yellow bug lamps in various
spots around the home. variables may include time of day, street
lights nearby, moon, billboard lighting, neighboring yard or parking
lot lights. try the lights at ground level, then from first floor
windows, then second floor windows.
then there are some color choices, like cool white versus warm white
in fluorescents, and expensive spotlight versus floodlight patterns,
and softer yellow bug lights with short life versus high pressure
sodium fixtures.