Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default Landscape lighting wattage question

On Jun 24, 9:50 pm, Geo wrote:
I have a two story house that I want to add outdoor lighting to. Can
someone recommend what is appropriate lighting for the exterior of the
house? I presume flood lights are in order, but I don't understand
what wattage I should be looking for. I've seen flood lights at 10W,
20W and 50W, but I just don't know what's the best to use. Thanks in
advance.

buy a portable clamp worklight or two with a reflector. try it
outdoors with various bulbs including yellow bug lamps in various
spots around the home. variables may include time of day, street
lights nearby, moon, billboard lighting, neighboring yard or parking
lot lights. try the lights at ground level, then from first floor
windows, then second floor windows.
then there are some color choices, like cool white versus warm white
in fluorescents, and expensive spotlight versus floodlight patterns,
and softer yellow bug lights with short life versus high pressure
sodium fixtures.