Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power supply to a new cieling fan

I need to install a cieling fan in my kitchen. It would be cinch of a
job if the current kitchen light is where the fan would be installed.
Instead, the kitchen has multiple spot lights around the perimeter.
What is the best way to connect to power short of running a new cable
to the service panel? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Meat Plow wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 06:22:05 -0700, hat wrote:

I need to install a cieling fan in my kitchen. It would be cinch of a
job if the current kitchen light is where the fan would be installed.
Instead, the kitchen has multiple spot lights around the perimeter.
What is the best way to connect to power short of running a new cable
to the service panel? Thanks.

What if any access do you have to the area above the ceiling?

And what is the switching arrangement desired for the fan vis a vis the
existing lights?

So many questions, so few answers...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I have total access to the attic. I think I will just use the fan/
light pull-down switches to control on/off. There will be no need for

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Install a fan support box and tap any 15 amp non switched feed you can find
in the attic and wire it into the box. Attic light feed would be fine if
it's on a pull chain

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 23, 8:48 am, dpb wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 06:22:05 -0700, hat wrote:

I need to install a cieling fan in my kitchen. It would be cinch of a
job if the current kitchen light is where the fan would be installed.
Instead, the kitchen has multiple spot lights around the perimeter.
What is the best way to connect to power short of running a new cable
to the service panel? Thanks.

What if any access do you have to the area above the ceiling?

And what is the switching arrangement desired for the fan vis a vis the
existing lights?

So many questions, so few answers...

--

I have total access to the attic. I think I will just use the fan/
light pull-down switches to control on/off. There will be no need for
wall switch. If worst come to worse I can install a fan with a remote
switch. All I need is a power supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I recently installed one with a remote and would never again put in a
fan without one again. They work great and are well worth the couple
of extra dollars.

If worst come to worse I can install a fan with a remote
switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 9:11 am, "
wrote:
I recently installed one with a remote and would never again put in a
fan without one again. They work great and are well worth the couple
of extra dollars.

I agree. The remotes make it much easier to install in a new
location, as you just need a hot, no need to route cable to wall
switch, cut holes, etc. Plus the remote is a nice convenience and
they usually have a wall mounting clip if you want a place to have it
on the wall, more like a regular switch.

If worst come to worse I can install a fan with a remote
switch.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On Jun 23, 9:22 am, wrote:
I need to install a cieling fan in my kitchen. It would be cinch of a
job if the current kitchen light is where the fan would be installed.
Instead, the kitchen has multiple spot lights around the perimeter.
What is the best way to connect to power short of running a new cable
to the service panel? Thanks.

if your smoke detectors are on the ceiling they could be a good
source of power if the circuit isnt to heavily loaded