Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Miter Saw Utiility Vehicle

I was looking for a proper stand for a new Hitachi 12" sliding compound
miter saw that SWMBO got me for a birthday, after determining that my Dewalt
folding stand wasn't sturdy enough.

At Home Depot I found they have a Ridgid "Miter Saw Utility Vehicle" (MSUV)
which has a large pair of wheels for mobility and folds up for storage,
originally $199, now on closeout for $99. This model has a solid top with
holes predrilled for Ridgid tools. At HD it is being replaced by a newer
version with rails instead of the solid top, so that brackets which fit the
rails can be used to allow several different tools to be mounted on the
newer item.

I bolted my new Hitachi to a piece of 3/4" plywood, then used the existing
boltholes to mount the plywood to the stand, and now have a very mobile but
very stable setup for the SCMS. A contractor friend is using the same MSUV
as the base for a tablesaw he deploys to job sites. Considering the
markdown from $199 to $99, this looks like a good deal, for use with my
SCMS, tabletop drill press, etc., which I can move around or take outside
when I have bulky items on which to work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Jim,
We have a Ridgid Compound sliding Mitre saw mounted on one of these saw
SUVs.
It works great and is very convienent.
HOWEVER
Just a couple of weeks ago my husband was up in the shop and was working on
a project. He reached over to move the unit just a bit to one sde. When he
grabed the side rail and pulled, it collapsed on him.
More than that, it pinned his left hand inbetween the rails much like a pair
of scissors. I was at the house and had no idea he was trapped up there. The
release mechanism was on the left hand side and he could not get his hand
out of it, finally he was able to twist around enough to get ahold of the
release mechanism. He nearly lost three fingers and is definitely losing two
fingernails.

So, all I can say is if you buy one, be sure to check it out closely and
never pull it by one of the side rails.

My husband ia a pretty tough guy, heavy equipment mechanic/operator and when
he finally made it to the house he nearly passed out.

Kate

"JimR" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

[snip]

Kate -- thanks for the heads up -- perhaps that's why these were on
closeout? I'll be careful. Regards --

advice on new vehicle dwolf Woodworking 32 August 27th 06 02:20 PM
Looking for a Vehicle Lift? [email protected] Metalworking 3 February 15th 06 03:42 AM
Vehicle totaled DebbieG Home Repair 39 April 27th 05 06:54 AM
Ridgid TS miter slot and Delta miter gauge? Sammy Woodworking 0 October 4th 03 01:47 PM
Vehicle probe Cassie Carstens Electronics Repair 0 July 10th 03 12:03 PM