Posted to alt.home.repair

Default crack in the center of new home

i recently bought a new house in the tampa, florida area. 3 weeks into
living in the brand new house a crack formed across the center of the
house in the floor and is spreading up the wall and ceiling in the
same area in my kitchen. the builder told me it was a cosmetic issue
after surveying the crack. i strongly disagree, assuming that this is
a structural issue with the concrete slab the house is sitting on. my
family has been in construction for YEARS and i do have some
experience but need a second opinion. can anyone help me??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Proly is just going to turn into a legal war, if you insist on remedy--your
architects/engineers agin theirs.
May want to drill a 1" hole or so, to see if the crack indeed extends to any
depth. May need to be even bigger than 1".

This is why I recommend buying older houses. Mine is 1920.
Sheeit, iffin it's still standin after 75 years, it was built right.
Yeah, cloth wiring is not so swift, but at least there's lots of circuits.

The other thing I advise against, in new/near new housing, is buying from a
fukn developer.
Try to buy from someone who had the house built for them, not a fukn
developer out to make a buck.
Developers are right down there feeding on the bottom, with politicians,
lawyers, stockbrokers and doctors driving fukn Mercedes, whilst they put a
lien on yer house.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

wrote in message
ups.com...
i recently bought a new house in the tampa, florida area. 3 weeks into
living in the brand new house a crack formed across the center of the
house in the floor and is spreading up the wall and ceiling in the
same area in my kitchen. the builder told me it was a cosmetic issue
after surveying the crack. i strongly disagree, assuming that this is
a structural issue with the concrete slab the house is sitting on. my
family has been in construction for YEARS and i do have some
experience but need a second opinion. can anyone help me??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 2:46 am, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:33:45 -0700, wrote:
i recently bought a new house in the tampa, florida area. 3 weeks into
living in the brand new house a crack formed across the center of the
house in the floor and is spreading up the wall and ceiling in the
same area in my kitchen. the builder told me it was a cosmetic issue
after surveying the crack. i strongly disagree, assuming that this is
a structural issue with the concrete slab the house is sitting on. my
family has been in construction for YEARS and i do have some
experience but need a second opinion. can anyone help me??

If your family has been in construction for years, it seems strange
you'd be asking here for advice, when none of us can even see what it
looks like visually. Do you have a new home warranty? Many new
construction homes do, and you could start pursuing it with them.
Besides saying it's cosmetic, did the builder offer to fix it? You
also don't tell us what the kitchen floor material is, which obvioulsy
makes a big difference.

Most likely you'll need to get a structural engineer in to give an
opinion as to what's wrong, what caused it, and how to fix it.