Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Compression Style Shower/Bath Manifold

Washerless valve cartridges have been
commonplace for many years. I think they're
swell, but I need an old fashioned shower and/
or bath manifold that has replaceable brass
seats, stems, and washers.

Home Depost is loaded with Danco kits for
rebuilding these manifolds. The only problem
is they don't sell the manifolds.

One of the bathrooms in my home is very
small. It does have a nice size shower. The
space inside the wall is very tight. Those
large and heavy manifolds that they sell in
the home centers would be a nightmare to
install in this bathroom.

I can solder together almost anything so I was
even thinking about building my own manifold
if I could find a compression valve that has
a replaceable stem, washer, and seat. Most
of the compression valves sold in Home Depot
and Lowes are all metric. They accept standard
1/2" or 3/4" tubing, but the stem, washer, and
seat are metric. Not good!

My house is about fifty years old. The 3½" that
you get inside of a wall studded with 2x4's is
not available. On the other side of the shower
wall is a closet. The folks who built this house
put a 3/4" board inside the wall to support the
closet. Now you know why I need a simple
compression style manifold. Nothing else will
fit inside this wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:21:26 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Can't you just use the one that is there, and put in new washers, and
if neccessary stems? No soldering at all.

Have you tried that yet?