Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to chalkline in a metal roof

I am building a lean-to on a shed. I extended the roof and was able
to get some matching corrigated tin for the roof. The original shed
is not exactly square, so the new roof is not exactly square either.
Rather than try to cut each sheet to length and compensate for the
slight crookedness of the roof, I just installed the sheets whole, and
left the ends hang over the edge of the roof. Now I want to cut that
entire edge, and want it 3 inches beyond the facia board. The plan is
to run a chalk line. The problem is that I dont have anyone available
to hold the other end of the line. Since there is no wood under this
end of the tin, just the tin itself. how can I hook the starter end of
the chalkline? Yes, I did think of putting a sheetmetal screw in the
end, but is there something easier, and that screw would leave part of
the drilled hole in my cut line.

Thanks

*31*

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am building a lean-to on a shed. I extended the roof and was able
to get some matching corrigated tin for the roof. The original shed
is not exactly square, so the new roof is not exactly square either.
Rather than try to cut each sheet to length and compensate for the
slight crookedness of the roof, I just installed the sheets whole, and
left the ends hang over the edge of the roof. Now I want to cut that
entire edge, and want it 3 inches beyond the facia board. The plan is
to run a chalk line. The problem is that I dont have anyone available
to hold the other end of the line. Since there is no wood under this
end of the tin, just the tin itself. how can I hook the starter end of
the chalkline? Yes, I did think of putting a sheetmetal screw in the
end, but is there something easier, and that screw would leave part of
the drilled hole in my cut line.

Clamp... Visegrips... Tape...