Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wanting to replace shallow well pump, ( I think)

Hello, I would like to replace the water pump at my mother in laws
cottage. It is on a bluff above the lake so I would assume that the
pump is in fact a shallow well type?
If so, is it simply a matter of uninstalling the old one and
installing the new one? I was hoping to use one of the ones in this
link:http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?
pcID=4&paID=1035&sonID=411&page=1&productID=29642

any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Link didnt work, sorry, I'll try it again ,

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp...du ctID=29642

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 7, 7:02 pm, wrote:
Hello, I would like to replace the water pump at my mother in laws
cottage. It is on a bluff above the lake so I would assume that the
pump is in fact a shallow well type?

Exactly what is the height of the pump above the water level? Around
20-25 feet qualifies as shallow well. When you say 'on a bluff', that
implies something substantially higher needing a different sort of
pump.

If so, is it simply a matter of uninstalling the old one and
installing the new one? I was hoping to use one of the ones in this
link:http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?
pcID=4&paID=1035&sonID=411&page=1&productID=29642

any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

When you have determined for sure what sort of system you have, and
have found the correct pump to buy, you need to review your basic
pipefitter's skills and tool set. Working on old 1 1/2" and 2" iron
pipe typical of old water systems requires a hefty pair of pipe
wrenches just for openers. Check out local tool rental places for
those. Then review the electrical feed. Odds are in a cottage it has
been code non-compliant for years. Get it up to spec to avoid problems
with the new pump. Other than these things, yes, it's simlpy what auto
mechanics call R & R, 'remove and replace'. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you very much for the advice, I do have a good size pipewrench,
and a very large cresent too. I think it was replaced within the last
15 yrs if that makes a difference. It has a cracked housing due I
would guess from freezing? It is underground, in a well pit inside the
cottage, which is not heated at all in winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 7:04 pm, wrote:
Thank you very much for the advice, I do have a good size pipewrench,
and a very large cresent too. I think it was replaced within the last
15 yrs if that makes a difference. It has a cracked housing due I
would guess from freezing? It is underground, in a well pit inside the
cottage, which is not heated at all in winter.

Adding to Joe's:

Tools. The crescent wrench will not be suitable. YOu need pipe
wrenches. It will probably take 2 and 24" size would be about right.

Pump type: Shallow well = one pipe down to the watger. Jet pump =
two pipes down to the water. The type currently installed should be
obvious on a quick inspection. The pumps in your link are jet type.

Once you change out the pump, you will then have to prime the new pump
installation so have some extra water on hand.

Harry K