Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire fence I posts props ?

I've got to figure out a way to prop the metal I posts of a wire fence.
Sagebrush has been piling up, and the wind is pushing the posts back.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 28, 11:40 am, "Jack S" wrote:
I've got to figure out a way to prop the metal I posts of a wire fence.
Sagebrush has been piling up, and the wind is pushing the posts back.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Cut back the brush???

We have lots of tumbleweeds and wind that "piles them up" but never
sagebrush, it stays put. Don't understand the problem. Tumbleweeds
just have to go clear the fences after a big blow--just part of being
on the high plains and keeping fence.

How long of posts are you using and how far do you drive them? Even
in this sand rarely does the wind actually take the posts down, more
often it'll stretch or even break the wire before more than a couple
of posts are taken down...

Of course, I'm talking single, smooth-wire electric fence. You mean
something different?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
Of course, I'm talking single, smooth-wire electric fence. You mean
something different?

Should have added...

For permanent fence (3- or 4-wire barbed or woven) we use wood posts
w/ 2 or 3 steel posts between. The wood posts take the wind loads...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 28, 11:40 am, "Jack S" wrote:
I've got to figure out a way to prop the metal I posts of a wire fence.
Sagebrush has been piling up, and the wind is pushing the posts back.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Cut back the brush???

Won't work.

We have had unusual wet seasons that created so much brush after a recent
windstrom, whole streets were clogged.

If you clear them off, a new accumulation is there in no time.

We have lots of tumbleweeds and wind that "piles them up" but never
sagebrush, it stays put. Don't understand the problem. Tumbleweeds
just have to go clear the fences after a big blow--just part of being
on the high plains and keeping fence.

How long of posts are you using and how far do you drive them? Even
in this sand rarely does the wind actually take the posts down, more
often it'll stretch or even break the wire before more than a couple
of posts are taken down...

Of course, I'm talking single, smooth-wire electric fence. You mean
something different?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 28, 2:13 pm, "Jack S" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

ups.com...

On May 28, 11:40 am, "Jack S" wrote:
I've got to figure out a way to prop the metal I posts of a wire fence.
Sagebrush has been piling up, and the wind is pushing the posts back.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Cut back the brush???

Won't work.

We have had unusual wet seasons that created so much brush after a recent
windstrom, whole streets were clogged.

If you clear them off, a new accumulation is there in no time.

Ain't sagebrush then...you talking tumbleweeds? I'm trying to
understand the problem to propose a fix.

Sagebrush is the feathery light gray-green woody stuff that stays in
one place. A real nuisance, yes, but if you cut it back it takes time
to regrow...tumbleweeds (Russian thistle) are the round rolling
thingies that break loose in the winter to early spring to go bounding
across the road, etc., ... is that what you mean?

Also a description of the fence type would help...as I posted in a
second follow-up, for permanent fences we use wooden posts every third
or fourth w/ the steel posts in between. The wood posts take the
brunt of the wind/snow/debris loads. That's best I can hypothesize w/
o more infor to work with...

Fortunately here the advent of the large amount of CRP grass cover and
low- and no-till farming has cut the tumbleweed population down
significantly from what it was in the '50s so we don't get the 30-ft
high accumulations like we occasionally did then.

But, there will always be some and still have to dig them out of the
cedar windbreaks every spring and burn them. As you say, can never
win the battle but other than the previous suggestion or going w/
longer posts buried deeper or an occasional "deadman" on a post don't
have any more suggestions from what I know at present...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 28, 3:00 pm, dpb wrote:
... other than the previous suggestion of going w/
longer posts buried deeper or an occasional "deadman" on a post don't
have any more suggestions from what I know at present...

One more passing thought...

Again, I'm hypothesizing on an awful little amount of rea info -- it
really does help to provide more information rather than less if
serious about getting reasonable suggestions.

If it's a residential fence of some sort, guess it wouldn't be totally
out of the question to set a few of them in concrete. I'd still be
more likely to get some 6- or 7-footers and set one of them deep every
so often given the soil type we have here (which means one can drive a
post as far as one cares to w/o digging any place one chooses to set
it down).

Fence posts Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 9 April 3rd 07 09:14 PM
Waterproofing fence posts Matthew Reed Home Repair 16 July 31st 06 03:30 AM
fence posts and metposts Bob UK diy 16 July 6th 05 11:24 AM
Replacing fence posts John UK diy 13 March 15th 05 01:13 PM
Garden fence posts Mortimer UK diy 8 February 6th 04 11:50 AM