Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gutters and flashing

Hi...

We're getting quotes to put new gutters up on our house. We've got 2
guys repping the same gutter brand but the quote's are $400 apart. The
only difference in what they say they do is that one guy puts flashing
behind the gutter and the other doesn't.

How big a deal is the flashing? Worth the extra $400?

Thanks
Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Modrall wrote in
:

Hi...

We're getting quotes to put new gutters up on our house. We've got
2
guys repping the same gutter brand but the quote's are $400 apart.
The only difference in what they say they do is that one guy puts
flashing behind the gutter and the other doesn't.

How big a deal is the flashing? Worth the extra $400?

Thanks
Mark

My unprofessional thoughts...

If the gutters are installed properly you don't need flashing. The drip
edge should direct the water into the gutter. Where drip edge would not
do this for various reasons like a crooked roof, I have seen them put a
piece of metal under the drip edge and into the gutter.

Really not clear on the extent of the proposed flashing. Cover entire
facia? Where does the upper edge of the flashing go? Under the drip
edge? I would think any water that did not go off the drip edge into the
gutter would follow the flashing behind the gutter. Are these "catches
90% of water gutters"?!!!

Do you have ice issues?

Possibly I will learn something as well from other replies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
Hi...

We're getting quotes to put new gutters up on our house. We've got 2
guys repping the same gutter brand but the quote's are $400 apart. The
only difference in what they say they do is that one guy puts flashing
behind the gutter and the other doesn't.

How big a deal is the flashing? Worth the extra $400?

If you mean he is covering painted wood with aluminum capping, then yes, it
is worth the $400 and will be a better job in the long run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Modrall wrote:
Hi...

We're getting quotes to put new gutters up on our house. We've got 2
guys repping the same gutter brand but the quote's are $400 apart. The
only difference in what they say they do is that one guy puts flashing
behind the gutter and the other doesn't.

How big a deal is the flashing? Worth the extra $400?

Thanks
Mark

Hi,
Where do you live?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Al Bundy wrote:

My unprofessional thoughts...

If the gutters are installed properly you don't need flashing. The drip
edge should direct the water into the gutter. Where drip edge would not
do this for various reasons like a crooked roof, I have seen them put a
piece of metal under the drip edge and into the gutter.

Really not clear on the extent of the proposed flashing. Cover entire
facia? Where does the upper edge of the flashing go? Under the drip
edge? I would think any water that did not go off the drip edge into the
gutter would follow the flashing behind the gutter. Are these "catches
90% of water gutters"?!!!

Do you have ice issues?

We're in Massachusetts, so we do get a fair amount of ice. One of the
guys said that he'd put flashing only where he thought the drip edge
wasn't sufficient but that he didn't see the need for it. The other guy
said as a matter of course he flashes from the drip edge into the gutter
- so kind of like the opinions expressed here.

The difference in the quotes were $926 (no flashing) to $1336
(flashing), so it made about a 40+% difference in the quote. One guy
says it's guilding the lilly, the other guy says it's the only way to go.

We just thought we'd ask on here what the general opinion was.

Thanks
Mark

Do I need gutters? Donna Home Repair 13 May 17th 06 03:33 PM
Gutters [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 21st 05 01:32 AM
Gutters Harman Sanghera UK diy 10 December 5th 03 07:17 PM
Can copper flashing be used over existing galvonized flashing? Jay Spenchian Home Repair 10 August 22nd 03 05:42 PM
Gutters Paul UK diy 0 August 14th 03 02:05 PM