Posted to alt.home.repair

Default i can read 120 v between hot wire & nutral sometimes

i can read 120v

between hot & ground at the outlet ,my house
has been built in 1952 and has some old wiring although there was an
addition to it,and a bigger breaker box 100amp
my light bills are high as well i wonder if there is a leak of voltage
some place, help please.

thank you
sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 1:32 am, wrote:
i can read 120v

between hot & ground at the outlet ,my house
has been built in 1952 and has some old wiring although there was an
addition to it,and a bigger breaker box 100amp
my light bills are high as well i wonder if there is a leak of voltage
some place, help please.

thank you
sam

Hot and ground should read the same as hot to neutral. Or very near
the same. The neutral buss (bar) in the breaker box is stake grounded
or street-side water pipe grounded. Neutral and ground are then at the
same potential. (the same potential as the center-tap of your utility
companies transformer)

What you say "sounds" normal.

p_z

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Some utility companies will test your meter for accuracy. You should scour
your house for any electrical devices , possibly in some obscure locations
that are being left on

wrote in message
ups.com...
i can read 120v

between hot & ground at the outlet ,my house
has been built in 1952 and has some old wiring although there was an
addition to it,and a bigger breaker box 100amp
my light bills are high as well i wonder if there is a leak of voltage
some place, help please.

thank you
sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

i can read 120v

between hot & ground at the outlet ,my house
has been built in 1952 and has some old wiring although there was an
addition to it,and a bigger breaker box 100amp
my light bills are high as well i wonder if there is a leak of voltage
some place, help please.

thank you
sam

Are you leaving the breaker box door open?

This can cause a loss of electrons. The bigger the box the more you lose.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 27, 8:29 am, "Joseph Meehan"
i can read 120v

between hot & ground at the outlet ,my house
has been built in 1952 and has some old wiring although there was an
addition to it,and a bigger breaker box 100amp
my light bills are high as well i wonder if there is a leak of voltage
some place, help please.

thank you
sam

You need to worry when it does not give you 12V between hot and either
the ground or the neutral.

12V would also be somewhat of a concern...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On May 27, 8:29 am, "Joseph Meehan"
i can read 120v

between hot & ground at the outlet ,my house
has been built in 1952 and has some old wiring although there was an
addition to it,and a bigger breaker box 100amp
my light bills are high as well i wonder if there is a leak of
voltage some place, help please.

thank you
sam

You need to worry when it does not give you 12V between hot and
either the ground or the neutral.

12V would also be somewhat of a concern... Yea I guess it would. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit