Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grading around the house

Hi,

For grading around a building according to BOCA 1996 according to my
reading the slope needs to be 1 inch per foot for a minimum of 8 feet.
This sounds pretty aggressive. I was wondering whether more recent
codes have modified this requirement for a house with a basement. I am
researching this question a house in NJ.

Regards..

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't have my code books here. I've not ever had residential
codes. BOCA would be unusual for residential. CABO sounds more
familiar. Our current code book is IBC, and I thought most areas
had adopted it.

My memory banks for commercial work remember 1/2 per foot for the
first 10 unless paved.

For any basement situation I would expect it (1/2 per foot)as an
absolute minimum, and pavement at 1/4 per foot. No planting beds,
sod only, no trees for at least 10 feet.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"guruocont" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

For grading around a building according to BOCA 1996 according
to my
reading the slope needs to be 1 inch per foot for a minimum of 8
feet.
This sounds pretty aggressive. I was wondering whether more
recent
codes have modified this requirement for a house with a
basement. I am
researching this question a house in NJ.

Regards..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"guruocont" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi,

For grading around a building according to BOCA 1996 according
to my
reading the slope needs to be 1 inch per foot for a minimum of 8
feet.
This sounds pretty aggressive. I was wondering whether more
recent
codes have modified this requirement for a house with a
basement. I am
researching this question a house in NJ.

Regards..

International Residential Code, Chapter 4 Foundations, says in part:
Lots shall be graded so as o drain surface water away from foundaton
walls. Grade away from foundation walls shall fall a minimum of 6
inches within the first 10 feet.
Exception: where lot lines, walls, slopes or other physical barriers
prohibit 6 inches of fall within 10 feet, drains or swales shall be
provided to ensure drainage away from the structure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

guruocont wrote:
Hi,

For grading around a building according to BOCA 1996 according to my
reading the slope needs to be 1 inch per foot for a minimum of 8 feet.
This sounds pretty aggressive. I was wondering whether more recent
codes have modified this requirement for a house with a basement. I am
researching this question a house in NJ.

If it were up to me and if it were a new build it should be, I would
want that for at least 10 feet and 12 would be better for a home with a
basement.

Regards..

Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 May 2007 23:33:23 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

I don't have my code books here. I've not ever had residential
codes. BOCA would be unusual for residential. CABO sounds more
familiar. Our current code book is IBC, and I thought most areas
had adopted it.

My memory banks for commercial work remember 1/2 per foot for the
first 10 unless paved.

For any basement situation I would expect it (1/2 per foot)as an
absolute minimum, and pavement at 1/4 per foot. No planting beds,
sod only, no trees for at least 10 feet.

Why sod only? I was thinking planting bushes might suck up more water?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I fight these issues every day. People want to beautify. They
dig along the foundation, put in pretty bushes and/or flower beds.
Add a decorative border of landscape timber, garden wall block, or
custom cast curb and fill up the area with wood chips. Add a
soaker hose or sprinkler head or, worst of all, heavily water the
wonderful new planting areas. It is often easier to do a raised
bed with the timbers that will raise the new surface above the
weep holes in the brick work.

Gee, I wonder why my basement leaks????

If your home is slab on grade you can get away with this as long
as the finish surface is below the weep holes in the brick work or
at least 6 inches below any siding or finish.

If your home is crawl space, you can try it but be very cautious
and monitor the situation. If you are flooding or raising the
humidity in the crawl, I would do away with the plantings.

If you have a full basement, I would avoid foundation plantings
like the plague. Modify the thought if basement has been water
PROOFED (not damp proofed) with drainage plane material and
appropriate subsurface drainage. If you have all this, you may be
hard pressed to give the bushes enough water as the water will go
subsurface rapidly.

--
______________________________

wrote:

I don't have my code books here. I've not ever had residential
codes. BOCA would be unusual for residential. CABO sounds more
familiar. Our current code book is IBC, and I thought most
areas
had adopted it.

My memory banks for commercial work remember 1/2 per foot for
the
first 10 unless paved.

For any basement situation I would expect it (1/2 per foot)as an
absolute minimum, and pavement at 1/4 per foot. No planting
beds,
sod only, no trees for at least 10 feet.

Why sod only? I was thinking planting bushes might suck up more
water?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 10:01 am, "DanG" wrote:
[...]

A house without any foundation landscaping isn't going to look very
attractive. And as long as you grade the area where there are
plantings properly, there is no reason why you can't have some bushes,
shrubs, flowers near the house. You just have to use common sense
and not create a negative grade, block the flow of water, etc. Very
easy to do right. Every house I've lived in has had foundation
plantings, with no basement water issues.

_______________________

wrote:

I don't have my code books here. I've not ever had residential
codes. BOCA would be unusual for residential. CABO sounds more
familiar. Our current code book is IBC, and I thought most
areas
had adopted it.

My memory banks for commercial work remember 1/2 per foot for
the
first 10 unless paved.

For any basement situation I would expect it (1/2 per foot)as an
absolute minimum, and pavement at 1/4 per foot. No planting
beds,
sod only, no trees for at least 10 feet.

Why sod only? I was thinking planting bushes might suck up more
water?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
[...]

It really is not the foundation plantings that are the problem, it is
the grading that people do that is the problem. Good grading with
appropriate foundation plantings should cause no problems. Of course if the
owner plants something that needs (or they feel it needs) swamp like
conditions, that would be a problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Grading Lumber [email protected] Woodworking 3 March 26th 07 11:00 PM
Grading land around house to keep water from entering basement [email protected] Home Repair 11 July 9th 06 05:58 AM
Mechanics of Grading Land to Keep Water From House [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 9th 06 12:54 AM
Grading Wood Rick Dipper UK diy 29 October 12th 04 01:53 AM
Grading backyard question PaPaPeng Home Repair 2 September 15th 04 05:30 PM