Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Default Lightning knocked out my refrigerator - cheap fix

I thought the compressor was ruint after the lightning storm knocked
it out. That's about $400 repair on a $700 fridge.

The compressor was overheating and shutting down within a few
sseconds. I pulled the starter relay off the compressor and took it
apart. There was a ceramic disk about the size of a nickel inside
that was broken into several pieces. I ordered a new starter relay
kit off of ebay for $20 and meanwhile patched the ceramic disk and
put it back together. It worked until a year later when another
lightning storm knocked it out again. I installed the new one from
ebay and it is working again.

I suppose I need a surge protector on my fridge to stop the lightning
stikes from destroying my ebay starter kit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DK wrote:
I thought the compressor was ruint after the lightning storm knocked
it out. That's about $400 repair on a $700 fridge.

The compressor was overheating and shutting down within a few
sseconds. I pulled the starter relay off the compressor and took it
apart. There was a ceramic disk about the size of a nickel inside
that was broken into several pieces. I ordered a new starter relay
kit off of ebay for $20 and meanwhile patched the ceramic disk and
put it back together. It worked until a year later when another
lightning storm knocked it out again. I installed the new one from
ebay and it is working again.

I suppose I need a surge protector on my fridge to stop the lightning
stikes from destroying my ebay starter kit.

sounds like u might have a grounding problem
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 May 2007 07:06:31 -0500, DK wrote:

I thought the compressor was ruint after the lightning storm knocked
it out. That's about $400 repair on a $700 fridge.

The compressor was overheating and shutting down within a few
sseconds. I pulled the starter relay off the compressor and took it
apart. There was a ceramic disk about the size of a nickel inside
that was broken into several pieces. I ordered a new starter relay
kit off of ebay for $20 and meanwhile patched the ceramic disk and
put it back together. It worked until a year later when another
lightning storm knocked it out again. I installed the new one from
ebay and it is working again.

I suppose I need a surge protector on my fridge to stop the lightning
stikes from destroying my ebay starter kit.

Sounds like you got a pretty good surge surpression system already going.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 8:06 am, DK wrote:
I thought the compressor was ruint after the lightning storm knocked
it out. That's about $400 repair on a $700 fridge.

The compressor was overheating and shutting down within a few
sseconds. I pulled the starter relay off the compressor and took it
apart. There was a ceramic disk about the size of a nickel inside
that was broken into several pieces. I ordered a new starter relay
kit off of ebay for $20 and meanwhile patched the ceramic disk and
put it back together. It worked until a year later when another
lightning storm knocked it out again. I installed the new one from
ebay and it is working again.

I suppose I need a surge protector on my fridge to stop the lightning
stikes from destroying my ebay starter kit.

I had the same problem a couple years ago. I spent $150 for a Sears
technician
to replace the relay. $100 for the visit and $50 for the part. He took
out the relay
and showed me the piece with the broken pieces of ceramic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 May 2007 07:06:31 -0500, DK wrote:

I thought the compressor was ruint after the lightning storm knocked
it out. That's about $400 repair on a $700 fridge.

The compressor was overheating and shutting down within a few
sseconds. I pulled the starter relay off the compressor and took it
apart. There was a ceramic disk about the size of a nickel inside
that was broken into several pieces. I ordered a new starter relay
kit off of ebay for $20 and meanwhile patched the ceramic disk and
put it back together. It worked until a year later when another
lightning storm knocked it out again. I installed the new one from
ebay and it is working again.

I suppose I need a surge protector on my fridge to stop the lightning
stikes from destroying my ebay starter kit.

Are you on or near the end of the power line feeding your
neighborhood? It seems that houses on or near the end get zapped by
lightning more than others. I once lived in a house that was the
second last house on the line, and I got zapped several times. The
neighbor (last on the line), had even more problems. I installed a
whole house lightning protector on the breaker box (across the mains),
and never had another problem with lightning. From what I recall, it
cost me around $30 to $40, but that was 1979 or 80. These days it
would probably cost $100, but well worth it, and easy to install for
anyone that knows wiring. It just goes into one of the knockouts on
the box and has 3 wires. One is ground, the other two go to the
mains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micr0 wrote:

DK wrote:

I thought the compressor was ruint after the lightning storm knocked
it out. That's about $400 repair on a $700 fridge.
The compressor was overheating and shutting down within a few
sseconds. I pulled the starter relay off the compressor and took it
apart. There was a ceramic disk about the size of a nickel inside
that was broken into several pieces. I ordered a new starter relay
kit off of ebay for $20 and meanwhile patched the ceramic disk and
put it back together. It worked until a year later when another
lightning storm knocked it out again. I installed the new one from
ebay and it is working again.

I suppose I need a surge protector on my fridge to stop the lightning
stikes from destroying my ebay starter kit.

sounds like u might have a grounding problem

You need a wole ouse SP and to check the grounding of both the refer
circuit,
the main panel and the meterhead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 1:04 pm, wrote:
I installed a whole house lightningprotectoron the breaker box
(across the mains), and never had another problem with
lightning. From what I recall, it cost me around $30 to $40, but
that was 1979 or 80. These days it would probably cost $100,
but well worth it, and easy to install for anyone that knows
wiring. It just goes into one of the knockouts on the box and
has 3 wires. One is ground, the other two go to the mains.

The protector is not across the mains. If so, then protector would
not provide effective protection. Why does it work? As jJim
McLaughlin noted, also important is the earth ground. Earth is the
protection. The protector with a short connection to earth simply
connects each AC electric wire to earth. It is not a connection
between mains. It is a connection between each AC main and earth.
Lightning earthed as it enters a building will not seek earth ground,
destructively via refrigerator, et al. Why is ceramic damaged? What
was the path to earth via that ceramic?

Minimally sufficient 'whole house' protector is still sold in Lowes
and Home Depot for less than $50. Better ones (longer life
expectancy) cost more. Effective protectors have names from
responsible manufacturers such as Leviton, Square D, Cutler Hammer,
Intermatic, Siemens, GE, etc. Each has that dedicated wire for a
'less than 10 foot' connection to earth. IOW building earthing must
be upgraded to meet and exceed post 1990 National Electrical Code
requirements.

Even if all receptacles are only two wire type - still the 'whole
house' protector provided effective protection for all appliances.
Protector costs about $1 per protected appliance. But earthing at the
breaker box must exceed post 1990 code.

If lightning is entering to damage a refrigerator, then how many
times before it eventually creates a house fire? What protects smoke
detectors? Just two more reasons why a properly earthed 'whole house'
protector is necessary. Things such as refrigerator, furnace smoke
detectors and bathroom GFCIs are necessary for human safety. What
protects them? A 'whole house' protector (properly earthed) is
essential for all homes.

BTW, this is only secondary protection. Also required is inspection
of the household primary surge protection 'system':
http://www.tvtower.com/grounding_and_bonding.html

Protection is defined by one essential 'system' component: earth
ground. Effective protector is only a connecting device to earth.
Such devices are available in Lowes, Home Depot, and electrical supply
houses. Especially not listed are Kmart, Sears, Walmart, Staples,
Circuit City, Radio Shack, and the grocery store. Effective
protectors are not seen there. Why are more responsible manufacturer
names not on protectors in that last retail list?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

DK wrote:
I thought the compressor was ruint after the lightning storm knocked
it out. That's about $400 repair on a $700 fridge.

The compressor was overheating and shutting down within a few
sseconds. I pulled the starter relay off the compressor and took it
apart. There was a ceramic disk about the size of a nickel inside
that was broken into several pieces. I ordered a new starter relay
kit off of ebay for $20 and meanwhile patched the ceramic disk and
put it back together. It worked until a year later when another
lightning storm knocked it out again. I installed the new one from
ebay and it is working again.

I suppose I need a surge protector on my fridge to stop the lightning
stikes from destroying my ebay starter kit.

If you have a verified lightning strike your homeowners insurance will
usually cover the damage. Did you report it to them?

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 May 2007 17:49:13 -0700, Joe wrote:

DK wrote:
[...]

Not good advise.
These days, you really do not want to report small claims to your
homeowners insurance. They tend to cancel policies or jack up rates on
those who do. The companies are more and more hypersensitive to this.

Also, such a small claim on a refrigerator probably doesn't exceed the
deductable.

Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 May 2007 23:43:33 -0400, Doug wrote:
Also, such a small claim on a refrigerator probably doesn't exceed the
deductable.

If it does, you REALLY need to increase your deductible. Mine is $2500.
I'd like to go $5000, but the mortage holder won't let me.

sdb
--
What's seen on your screen? http://pcscreenwatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com