Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default Lightning knocked out my refrigerator - cheap fix

On Thu, 24 May 2007 07:06:31 -0500, DK wrote:

I thought the compressor was ruint after the lightning storm knocked
it out. That's about $400 repair on a $700 fridge.

The compressor was overheating and shutting down within a few
sseconds. I pulled the starter relay off the compressor and took it
apart. There was a ceramic disk about the size of a nickel inside
that was broken into several pieces. I ordered a new starter relay
kit off of ebay for $20 and meanwhile patched the ceramic disk and
put it back together. It worked until a year later when another
lightning storm knocked it out again. I installed the new one from
ebay and it is working again.

I suppose I need a surge protector on my fridge to stop the lightning
stikes from destroying my ebay starter kit.

Sounds like you got a pretty good surge surpression system already going.