Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator start relay

My refrigerator is warm and makes this intermittant clicking sound. My
research shows it's probably the compressor start relay. The start
relay has two wires going into it. I removed the relay and it rattles,
so its definitely bad. Would it be safe to just bypass the bad relay
(by joining the two wires together) and run the refrigerator for a few
minutes to just make sure the compressor is fine and still cools the
box?

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

addieb wrote:

My refrigerator is warm and makes this intermittant clicking sound. My
research shows it's probably the compressor start relay. The start
relay has two wires going into it. I removed the relay and it rattles,
so its definitely bad. Would it be safe to just bypass the bad relay
(by joining the two wires together) and run the refrigerator for a few
minutes to just make sure the compressor is fine and still cools the
box?

http://www.usenet.com

Never bypass a start relay unless you want a burt out compressor!
- udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html
http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html
Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With or to Accept!
Posted to alt.home.repair

addieb wrote:
My refrigerator is warm and makes this intermittant clicking sound. My
research shows it's probably the compressor start relay. The start
relay has two wires going into it. I removed the relay and it rattles,
so its definitely bad. Would it be safe to just bypass the bad relay
(by joining the two wires together) and run the refrigerator for a few
minutes to just make sure the compressor is fine and still cools the
box?

http://www.usenet.com

No.

Unplug it and let the refrigerant acclimate(~1 hr.). Try it again.

The starting capacitor may have failed.

The compressor may be failing, the refrigerant contaminated, orifice
plugged, or many other issues.

You may be able to get a "hard start" kit for your fridge to get it to
last a little longer.

Compressor replacements are rarely economical these days.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

addieb wrote:

My refrigerator is warm and makes this intermittant clicking sound. My
research shows it's probably the compressor start relay. The start
relay has two wires going into it. I removed the relay and it rattles,
so its definitely bad. Would it be safe to just bypass the bad relay
(by joining the two wires together) and run the refrigerator for a few
minutes to just make sure the compressor is fine and still cools the
box?

http://www.usenet.com

Never bypass a start relay unless you want a burnt out compressor!
- udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html
http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html
Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With or to Accept!
Posted to alt.home.repair

addieb wrote in message ...
My refrigerator is warm and makes this intermittant clicking sound. My
research shows it's probably the compressor start relay. The start
relay has two wires going into it. I removed the relay and it rattles,
so its definitely bad.

A relay has at LEAST 3 wires (two for the coil - one of which can also go to
a contact - and the other contact.)

Is your "relay" a part of the compressor or attached to one of the tubes?

If so, it's an overload device.

I strongly suspect your ice box is now toast. Unless it's less than 7
years old, I suggest you just replace it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Troll O Meter

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
| | | | | | | | | | |
^

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

addieb wrote in message
: My refrigerator is warm and makes this intermittant clicking
sound. My
: research shows it's probably the compressor start relay. The
start
: relay has two wires going into it. I removed the relay and it
rattles,
: so its definitely bad. Would it be safe to just bypass the bad
relay
: (by joining the two wires together) and run the refrigerator
for a few
: minutes to just make sure the compressor is fine and still
cools the
: box?
:
: Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
: ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
: http://www.usenet.com