Posted to alt.home.repair

Default carpenter ants in cherry blossom tree

I found out that my cherry blossom tree has a nest of carpenter ants
in it.. They started nesting where a branch was cut off a long time
ago.. I can see in and see a few soldiers.. I was spraying around the
house with Spectricide Terminate to build a barrier.. I decided to
spray a little into the hole, and a bunch of angry ants came out.. I
sprayed a little more, and even more ants came out.. A little more,
then winged reproductives came out.. soon, the ground was covered with
dying, disorientated ants..

Is this going to take care of it? or should a blow some boric acid in
there for more long term control? and. is it even wise to do this to a
living tree anyway?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Chris wrote:
I found out that my cherry blossom tree has a nest of carpenter ants
in it.. They started nesting where a branch was cut off a long time
ago.. I can see in and see a few soldiers.. I was spraying around the
house with Spectricide Terminate to build a barrier.. I decided to
spray a little into the hole, and a bunch of angry ants came out.. I
sprayed a little more, and even more ants came out.. A little more,
then winged reproductives came out.. soon, the ground was covered with
dying, disorientated ants..

Is this going to take care of it? or should a blow some boric acid in
there for more long term control? and. is it even wise to do this to a
living tree anyway?

If you are getting the winged reproductive flushed out you probably got
to the heart of the nest. There was no need to do anything to them
though, they are a benefit to the tree removing the diseased/decaying
wood of the tree.

Lar