Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C question

Hello fellow DIY-ers,

My electric A/C stop cooling yesterday.

The fan is blowing but not cold air.

Got Train gas furnace and electric A/C unit which is about 16 y old and am
curious is it fixable or do I need to shop for another one???
What do I need to check and how to do that??
ANy idea is more than welcome.

Leaving in Jamestown, NC and these days it's getting hot here.

Thanks.

Dino

Posted to alt.home.repair

dino k wrote:
Hello fellow DIY-ers,

My electric A/C stop cooling yesterday.

The fan is blowing but not cold air.

Got Train gas furnace and electric A/C unit which is about 16 y old
and am curious is it fixable or do I need to shop for another one???
What do I need to check and how to do that??
ANy idea is more than welcome.

Leaving in Jamestown, NC and these days it's getting hot here.

Thanks.

Dino

With out knowing more about what is wrong, it is rather difficult to
say. If it is a cheap fix, then it may be good to repair it, if it is
going to be an expensive fix, I would replace it. Buying a new unit is
going to reduce your operating cost as today's units are more efficient.
Just ware that dividing line is depends on a lot of things including where
you live and where you live would tend to tip the scales towards
replacement.

Consider that even with a repair you will have a 16+ year old unit which
could have an expensive repair at any time and is costing you more to run
than the replacement will.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 5:43 am, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
dino k wrote:
[...]

Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -

There may be a fuse for the compressor unit located in a box near the
outside unit. If that blows, but the breaker does not trip, you can
have the air handler running without the compressor. I'd check for
that first and make sure there is 240V getting to the unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dino k" wrote in message
Hello fellow DIY-ers,

My electric A/C stop cooling yesterday.

The fan is blowing but not cold air.

Got Train gas furnace and electric A/C unit which is about 16 y old and am
curious is it fixable or do I need to shop for another one???
What do I need to check and how to do that??
ANy idea is more than welcome.

Could be a lot of things. Typical service call is $75 to $125. At 16
years, it may be worth a cheap fix, but not worth anything very expensive
because other components will eventually be going. If it is more than a
couple of hundred $$, consider getting a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

dino k wrote:
Hello fellow DIY-ers,

My electric A/C stop cooling yesterday.

The fan is blowing but not cold air.

Got Train gas furnace and electric A/C unit which is about 16 y old and am
curious is it fixable or do I need to shop for another one???
What do I need to check and how to do that??
ANy idea is more than welcome.

You probably have a condenser unit outside for the AC system. Is the
fan and the compressor motor for IT running when the AC is on?? Knowing
the answer to this question would go a long way in determining what
MIGHT be wrong.

Leaving in Jamestown, NC and these days it's getting hot here.

Thanks.

Dino

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably fixable. Check the outdoor unit, to see if it's getting
power.

Disconnect the power, and check the capacitor for farad ratign
versus actual farad ability.

Why don't you stay home instead of leaving?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"dino k" wrote in message