Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaky faucet - how to unscrew stripped Philips screw?

wrote:
My bathroom faucet has a drip and I traced it to the hot water handle.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to unscrew it because the Philips screw is
stripped.

Any suggestions as to how to take off the handle? It's one of those
handles where the screw is in the middle of an indented circle.

If I do get it off, what's the procedure for stopping the drip?
When I shut the hot water valve under the sink, I notice that the drip
moves to the valve.

Usually, when someone says a screw is stripped they mean the threads are
stripped, so you can turn the screw with a screwdriver without it
backing out (or tightening).

Is that what you're trying to say?

Or is it the Phillips head recess which is buggered up so a screwdriver
can't engage it?

If it's the former, then you can probably have a helper pull up one the
faucet handle while trying to rock it while you turn the screw
counterclockwise,

If it's the head which is fouled up, then try Dan's suggestion. If you
don't have a Dremel type tool or if the recess in the handle is too deep
to get a cutting wheel into, then try carefully drilling down into the
screw head's Phillip's recess just until the head disappears. That
should enable you to pull the handle off, and if you're lucky there will
still be enough of the screw protruding from the faucet stem to let you
remove it with pliers. If not, new stems don't cost all that much.

Re the dripping from the shutoff valve: Chances are its stem packing is
dried up and the drip you are experiencing is just the water standing in
the upfeed tubing and faucet slowly leaking out around the stem. If you
get more than a few ounces of drip and it doesn't eventually stop, then
the shutoff valve's washer is probably shot.

Both the packing and the washer don't take the skills of a rocket
surgeon to replace. Someone who knows how can show you in just "a matter
of a moment."

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:01:10 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

[...]

I think I'd spring for the $10 screw-extractor at the local
junk store, before drilling the head off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:

[...]

Hve you ever successfully extracted a BRASS #8 screw with one of those?

I can't say that I ever have.

Drilling the required 1/16" diameter hole down the center of that size
screw with a hand held drill is more than I'd ever try and pull off. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)