Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Short...

Kewless wrote:

Yesterday, just as I was leaving to go to a job, my SO called me
back and asked if I knew anything about a strange odor coming
from the back bedroom. The odor, as I soon found out, was smoke.
Apparently,the surge-protector shorted against the wire shelving --
and in doing so sparked off a small electrical fire!

That has nothing whatsoever to do with your behaviour, and everything to
do with faulty gear. Anything that could short against the wire shelf
could also short against your skin.

I wouldn't worry about metal shelving any more because of this...get a
new surge protector from a different company. (In any case, whole-house
surge protectors are much more effective than the power-bar type, as
they are much closer to the primary electrical ground.)

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Kewless wrote:

Yesterday, just as I was leaving to go to a job, my SO called me
back and asked if I knew anything about a strange odor coming
from the back bedroom. The odor, as I soon found out, was smoke.
Apparently,the surge-protector shorted against the wire shelving --
and in doing so sparked off a small electrical fire!

That has nothing whatsoever to do with your behaviour, and everything to
do with faulty gear.

This is a joke of some sort. I don't get it, but it is too silly to be
true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kewless wrote:

Yesterday, just as I was leaving to go to a job, my SO called me
back and asked if I knew anything about a strange odor coming
from the back bedroom. *The odor, as I soon found out, was smoke.
Apparently,the surge-protector shorted against the wire shelving --
*and in doing so sparked off a small electrical fire!

That has nothing whatsoever to do with your behaviour, and everything to
do with faulty gear.

This is a joke of some sort. *I don't get it, but it is too silly to be
true.

all sorts of wierd things can and do happen, having seen some
myself...

not a troll, just a near disaster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 5:19 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:

(In any case, whole-house
surge protectors are much more effective than the power-bar type, as
they are much closer to the primary electrical ground.)

Chris

True, you are assured of electrical ground...but you will not protect
from induction on the same circuit (motor switching) as your
electronics.
Also, there is induction from wire to wire in the same run or conduit.

JM$.02

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7-May-2007, Tollerwrote:

"Chris Friesen" wrote:
Kewless wrote:

Yesterday, just as I was leaving to go to a job, my SO called me
back and asked if I knew anything about a strange odor coming
from the back bedroom. The odor, as I soon found out, was smoke.
Apparently,the surge-protector shorted against the wire shelving --
and in doing so sparked off a small electrical fire!

That has nothing whatsoever to do with your behaviour, and everything to
do with faulty gear.

This is a joke of some sort. I don't get it, but it is too silly to be
true.

Nope. It's true.

When I posted this I suspected that my experience was fairly uncommon. But
I had no idea that it was so bizarre as to defy belief. Perhaps, I should have called
the National Enquirer instead?