Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cistern water - can I do this?

just got an idea, which is kind of inspired by my grandparents' old
house... at that house, there was a cistern dug in the ground by the
barn, which was uphill from the house. It was plumbed into the basement
of the house, and due to the fact that the hill was fairly steep and far
away, it was possible for the water to reach all the way to the second
floor of the house. So my grandfather had gotten creative with the
pipes and valves, and had things set up so that the cold water supply to
the bathroom could be changed from the cistern to the well, and vice
versa. This way they weren't using valuable well water to flush the
toilet, etc...

I have a 550 gallon plastic cistern, above ground, at my new house.
It's behind the house, and is so located that this trick wouldn't work
for anything but the deep sink. However, I was wondering if it were
possible/advisable to set it up to feed the cold water to the deep sink
and washing machine, so I wouldn't have to use the city water for that.
(yes, I still tend to be somewhat ecologically minded, so long as it's
no inconvenience for me.) The question is, is the setup with valves
etc. as I described above acceptable per current plumbing codes, or is
this a no-no? I suspect that it may not, as if both valves were opened
at the same time, there's a slim possibility of cistern water
contaminating the potable water supply, but I personally would know what
was going on enough to avoid having that happen.

thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 7:15�pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

You can add a pump and seperate supply lines to toilets and your all
set.

todays toilets may not work by low gravity, but should work fine with
a shallow well pump.

If you really want to do it right add a single hose that can be
swapped location wise to prevent cross contamination.

a good friend drilled a well he has city water but uses the well for
toilets, and washing machines

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

It is legal if you use the proper backflow prevention valves. They are
expensive, so the idea may not be economical.
Check with your local building department and water department to see what
they would require. Hopefully they don't have contradictory requirements.
If the systems are completely separate, so contamination can't occur, it is
none of their business.

A hotel I stayed at in Saint Thomas used seawater in the toilets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

It is not permissible under plumbing codes nor is it a good idea to
interconnect the city water supply and any well or cistern water. There is
more than "a slim possibility of contamination". It is practically a
certainty. Untreated water is an excellent breeding ground for viruses and
bacteria. The only questions are how much contamination, what with, and how
serious/dangerous/deadly is it?

Don't do it. Use completely separate piping and faucets with the potable
water faucets high enough to prevent any contact by the cistern water.

Don Young