Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moving my toilet

Hi everyone,

I am planning on moving the toilet in my basement bathroom over
approiximately 1 foot (bathroom was enlarged so this is necessary). I
have aready broken up the concrete around the toilet and made the
necessary channel to its new location. Now, all that needs to be done
is to cut into the original waste line and to divert it and move the
water supply over. I am planning to hire a plumber to do this as it is
way beyond my scope. What I am curious to know is this; When the new
piping is attached to the waste line, how will the plumber attach it.
My father said that the best way to do this is to use molten lead to
join them. What I am not sure about is if plumbers use this method
anymore or if they just use some type of a gasket. What should I ask
the plumber to make sure they know what they are doing?

Thank you, Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 11:02?am, wrote:
[...]

cheaper easier to use a fernco rubber connector, are you certain the
underground line is cast iron? it might be terracota.

its going to be expensive to move and more than the immediate area may
have to be torn up, drain lines from toilets have to be gradual, you
cant put in a sharp bend.

time to dig up gently the line and know in advance this job can grow,
roots in sewer line, cracked terracota T connection in worst possible
spot

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Lead is rarely used, if at all, anymore. The plumber should use whatever
type of connection is readily available and suitable for whatever type of
pipes he is connecting. Generally a rubber connector secured with band
clamps around it. If you do not trust your plumber to know what he is doing,
you should not have hired him. You, apparently totally inexperienced, are
very unlikely to learn enough in a very short time to be able to judge his
comptence. If it looks good and doesn't leak, be happy. Ask the plumber to
explain if there is something you wish to know about his work.

Don Young

Moving a toilet, hub, etc.... [email protected] Home Repair 5 April 8th 07 11:09 PM
Moving a toilet. Mark UK diy 16 October 27th 04 03:01 AM
Moving toilet MIstatee UK diy 3 June 3rd 04 12:06 PM
Moving a toilet one foot? dgk Home Repair 4 February 26th 04 06:53 PM
Moving a toilet... Slugsie UK diy 12 September 9th 03 11:09 PM