Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Moving my toilet

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

I am planning on moving the toilet in my basement bathroom over
approiximately 1 foot (bathroom was enlarged so this is necessary). I
have aready broken up the concrete around the toilet and made the
necessary channel to its new location. Now, all that needs to be done
is to cut into the original waste line and to divert it and move the
water supply over. I am planning to hire a plumber to do this as it is
way beyond my scope. What I am curious to know is this; When the new
piping is attached to the waste line, how will the plumber attach it.
My father said that the best way to do this is to use molten lead to
join them. What I am not sure about is if plumbers use this method
anymore or if they just use some type of a gasket. What should I ask
the plumber to make sure they know what they are doing?

Thank you, Anthony

Lead is rarely used, if at all, anymore. The plumber should use whatever
type of connection is readily available and suitable for whatever type of
pipes he is connecting. Generally a rubber connector secured with band
clamps around it. If you do not trust your plumber to know what he is doing,
you should not have hired him. You, apparently totally inexperienced, are
very unlikely to learn enough in a very short time to be able to judge his
comptence. If it looks good and doesn't leak, be happy. Ask the plumber to
explain if there is something you wish to know about his work.

Don Young