Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Silicon II forver to cure

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

Can't remember any silicon going 48 hours and still being tacky to the
touch. Maybe the temperature is too low (60-65F) ? Only thing I can think
of though.

Have to admit I didn't read the label (print too small for my bad eyes)
any ideas?

It sounds as though it is too old. Was this laying around for awhile before
you used it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2007 09:59:43 -0400, John Grabowski wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
Can't remember any silicon going 48 hours and still being tacky to the
touch. Maybe the temperature is too low (60-65F) ? Only thing I can think
of though.

Have to admit I didn't read the label (print too small for my bad eyes)
any ideas?

It sounds as though it is too old. Was this laying around for awhile before
you used it?

Bought it new at the hardware store. Tried two different tubes. Furnace in
this house not working (next project) so I put a space heater in the
bathroom. Haven't been there yet today so I'll see if there was
improvement in curing overnight.

Check the use by date printed on the tube. Old RTV Silicone tends to not
cure well.

I just did a shower with Silicone II a few weeks ago and it cured in a
few hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

Can't remember any silicon going 48 hours and still being tacky to the
touch. Maybe the temperature is too low (60-65F) ? Only thing I can think
of though.

Have to admit I didn't read the label (print too small for my bad eyes)
any ideas?

It sounds as though it is too old. Was this laying around for awhile before
you used it?

Bought it new at the hardware store. Tried two different tubes. Furnace in
this house not working (next project) so I put a space heater in the
bathroom. Haven't been there yet today so I'll see if there was
improvement in curing overnight.

I bought a tube a year ago. Worst stuff I've ever tried to
use. It also develops a "crystalline" like structure. My
guess is that either the epa banned the acetic acid content
or the patent ran out. You can still get the original form
in the 14oz "caulk gun" tube. (last time I looked at HD)

I've been using the goop(brand) version of silicone. It's
the same $4 per tube, but uses a hydrocarbon carrier. It
flows better out of the tube, smooths easier, and skins
fast. Still recommends 24 hrs for full cure, is not as
waterproof and is flammable. Get ur magnifier and be sure
it's right for your project!

You can also check the 99 cent or dollar stores, they
sometimes have $1 (half size) (real)silicone tubes that you
won't feel as bad about throwing away when finished ;-)

-larry / dallas

Boy am I angry. Can I silicon over 2 hour old silicon? Haymish Pupkin UK diy 18 July 15th 06 12:33 PM
silicon tool [email protected] UK diy 21 February 4th 06 09:28 PM
silicon Bruce UK diy 3 November 12th 04 10:24 PM
Silicon sealant Angela UK diy 6 November 17th 03 04:17 PM
silicon in2minds UK diy 9 October 6th 03 12:18 AM