Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water backing up in dishwasher

I admit, I only use my Whirlpool dishwasher about once every 12 days
because I live alone and large things, like pots, are too frequently
needed, so I do those by hand. (Besides, the washer doesn't clean deep
objects well.) I also never put dishes in that are visibly dirty from,
say, 15 feet away. Yesterday, I heard a steady noise (the washer is
almost full, so I was going to run it today) and I saw dirty water
spreading over the bottom. It was there this morning as well. Last I
checked, the garbage disposal was draining properly. I'm tempted
simply to run the dishwasher and see what happens. (Oddly, all my
manual says about this is "is the cycle done?")

Would this be a foolish risk?

Lenona.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 May 2007 09:26:08 -0700, lenona321 wrote:

I admit, I only use my Whirlpool dishwasher about once every 12 days
because I live alone and large things, like pots, are too frequently
needed, so I do those by hand. (Besides, the washer doesn't clean deep
objects well.) I also never put dishes in that are visibly dirty from,
say, 15 feet away. Yesterday, I heard a steady noise (the washer is
almost full, so I was going to run it today) and I saw dirty water
spreading over the bottom. It was there this morning as well. Last I
checked, the garbage disposal was draining properly. I'm tempted
simply to run the dishwasher and see what happens. (Oddly, all my
manual says about this is "is the cycle done?")

Would this be a foolish risk?

Lenona.

Its foolish but not too risky. You will just waste water and dishes will
be dirty. Look at the bottom near the drain. Probably a screen filter of
some sort that needs cleaning. I used to have to do this twice a week
until I finally got my wife to start rinsing the dishes before putting
them in the washer..
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, I'll look for blockage - though why the water should start backing
up more than 10 days after I last used it, I can't guess.

Also, is it OK to use Drano - or something less toxic?

Lenona.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 6:52 pm, Just Joshin wrote:
On 4 May 2007 09:26:08 -0700, wrote:

I admit, I only use my Whirlpool dishwasher about once every 12 days
because I live alone and large things, like pots, are too frequently
needed, so I do those by hand. (Besides, the washer doesn't clean deep
objects well.) I also never put dishes in that are visibly dirty from,
say, 15 feet away. Yesterday, I heard a steady noise (the washer is
almost full, so I was going to run it today) and I saw dirty water
spreading over the bottom. It was there this morning as well. Last I
checked, the garbage disposal was draining properly. I'm tempted
simply to run the dishwasher and see what happens. (Oddly, all my
manual says about this is "is the cycle done?")

Would this be a foolish risk?

Lenona.

I've heard of this happening if the drain line doesn't have an 'air
break' or the line isn't routed high then low. Might want to check
there.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Exactly. If there is an air break, the water will back up and come
out of the air break, instead of going into the dishwasher. And if
it has a high loop that goes up as high as the underside of the
countertop, the water would have to back up in the sink higher than
that for it to get into the dishwasher.

For this to have happened, water is backing up in the sink drain,
which is the other major problem that needs to be addressed.